Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick fortress flashback

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steamboat, Dec 23, 2001.

1. your thoughts?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Good looking bass, but hate the passive system and the lipsticks.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If you like the Fortress basses, I would go with the Fortress One or the Fortress Masterman. Both of them, in my opinion, have much better tone capabilities than the Flashback. The Fortress basses have a look that I personally am not to crazy about, but that is just my opinion. They do, however, balance well when strapped on, thanks to the longer upper horn. No neck dive problems at all that I noticed.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the fortress as a whole is a nice bass. cool look, very very nice balance. neck and other stuff is standard warwick.

as for the flashback, i kinda like the lipsticks. it definitely sounds different. and with the 2tek bridge...it's definitely got some stuff. could be a great bass with active electronics. looks cool too.

i don't think i could have one as my main bass, but having one could be cool.

i take it you saw the one on ebay? that thing is gonna go CHEAP.

jason

5. So the sound is pretty weak in comparison to other Warwicks? I'm looking at one on Ebay.

6. The Flashback is the best-sounding Warwick I've ever played. The passive set-up and 2-Tek bridge give it more punch and balls than other Warwicks I've tried. Again, this is strictly my opinion; I much prefer passive basses to active ones. But "weak" is the last word I'd use to describe the Flashback's sound.

7. Thanks guys!

A few random thoughts:

I really dig the look of this bass! Weight isn't too much of a problem as long as the balance is good.... my Ray 5 weighs about 13 pounds.

A few slightly more focused questions:

Where does the Flashback's tone fit in comparison to something fairly common.. say a Fender or a Stingray?

I know the name sort of contradicts this.. but I am looking for something with a bit of a modern vibe to it (but without harshness or thinness.. I like a good strong midrange but I don't like muddiness). I'm definitely looking for a well defined slap tone. Is the Flashback pretty much out of the question for this?

Is the neck essentially the same as other Warwicks? I like the feel of bare wenge and have generally liked the profiles of Warwick necks I've tried.

I'm to assume the sustain is pretty good due to the 2tek bridge, right?

Lastly, I have a pretty abstract question that I don't expect a totally concrete answer to. Do you feel this bass would overlap too much with the my current fretted bass to be worth buying? My fretted is a Peavey Fury (fretted 4, maple neck/fingerboard, poplar body, Dimarzio Model P and Model J, passive.. strung with medium gauge D'Addario Slowounds).I don't see myself selling this bass, partly out of sentimental value but mostly because it still plays and sounds quite nice. FYI, I use an Ampeg BA-115 with a fairly flat EQ. My band has an electric and acoustic guitarist and plays fairly straightahead rock. (this is a hard one to answer because you don't know exactly what my Fury sounds like, what I play like, or what I'm looking for... so I'm open to any wild speculations that anyone has.. I really just want to get an idea here)

I thank anyone taking the time to answer this, tone is a really difficult thing to describe. I'm not really too afraid of buying sight unseen (in fact.. ALL of my gear except for a recently purchased Frantone Classic Fuzz have been bought online) I just need the assurance of people here.