1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Fortress Masterman 5 opportunity

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAcsSNAcs, Jan 18, 2017.

1. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    Hi all. I have the opportunity to pick up a '98 Warwick Fortress Masterman 5- string for $800 Canadian. From the pics, it looks in great shape. No dings. Serial is clearly visible in the pics too (I actually corrected the current owner, who thought it was a '96 after looking up the serial online).

My question is: Is this a good price for such an instrument? I've always wanted a Warwick, and have toyed with 5-strings in the past.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DevinWard369 likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Pics or it doesn't exist! No clue on the price though sorry.

BurnOut likes this.
  3. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    I've seen the pics, but the seller took down the ad due to having several people responding to it, just to keep things simple on his end. I can probably get some though. It has a natural finish (so not coloured).

4. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    pretty good price if its all original

5. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    I have yet to see it in person, but that's something I could/should ask. Thanks

6. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    I have just learned that the bottom strap peg was moved and the hole filled... I'm gonna request a pic of that ;)

7. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick, Mesa Boogie, Joyo, Dr. J, Levy's Leathers
    I've owned a bunch of Fortresses, and the MasterMan versions are my favorite. I miss my 5.

I think $800 is reasonable. I'm interested to see a photo of it though. The Fortresses were all stained flamed maple in that time frame so if it's unfinished that would be interesting. Oddly enough, Streamer LX basses were stained flamed maple as well, but the 98 I had was also unstained non-flamed maple.

Why did you need to look up the serial online to determine the year? The last 2 digits are always the year on a Warwick. Does it have a strange serial number?

Best of luck. Assuming the bass is in good working order, you won't be disappointed.

Jacob

8. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    Here's a pick of the location of the former strap peg and the new location, along with what I'm pretty sure is (because I've seen this bass advertised in the past) a replacement locking cable input.

bass_zps9uznmvl6. [/URL]

9. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    I kind of know the guy who is selling it (friend of a friend, literally) and he has a good reputation. My friend bought a guitar from him a while back, but the moving of the strap peg (especially when these basses are supposed to be so well balanced) and the changing of the cable input worry me.

Thoughts? I guess I'd have to try it out in person to find out whether that stuff outweighs the loveliness of the bass in my hands ;)

10. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    I only looked up the serial as I'm not familiar with Warwicks and wanted to check it out. Now I know the format ;) THanks

HamOnTheCob likes this.
  11. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    That's a great price. Get it. Or give me the guy's number and I will!

12. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Sorry, I'm using the TB app on my phone and it's not perfect.

Did I miss something about the output jack? Or "input cable"? What do you mean?

13. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    My bad. If I remember correctly, the output jack was replaced with a "locking" jack... I've asked the seller for more info about that... still waiting for a reply.

14. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Likely claimed as an improvement. Supposed to keep the plug from coming out (and possibly wrecking the jack) when you trip on the cord on stage. The down side is, for a klutz like me anyway, that if you trip on the cable with locking jacks at both ends, you may be doing an unintentional stage dive or face plant. ...and the crowd goes wild... hehe

15. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Warwick makes great basses, but especially in the 90s, they had the worst output jacks I've ever come across. I probably had 20 of them or more with original jacks and many had issues with noise and/or cutting out. Don't view a replaced jack on a Warwick as a bad thing.

- Jacob

SLO Surfer likes this.
  16. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    Great to know Jacob. Thanks. The seller is claiming that the output jack pictured above is original... is that the case, do you think?

Any thoughts on the repositioning of the strap peg?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  17. From what I understand, having the peg sit closer to the arm rest of the body helps it sit on more of a upwards-diagonal plane, as opposed to being horizontal (parallel to the floor).

I prefer my basses to sit the upwards-diagonal way, but if you check it out, bring your strap to test it out.

I don't like that they didn't try to colour match the original hole, but the price reflects that, in my opinion.

That era of Warwicks also have pretty thin necks, which are similar to the necks on the current, post-2009 models, and they are my favourite Warwick neck profile.

18. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    There is nothing original about that output jack and it is obvious there is patchwork around it. Fair Price, not a steal, not a ripoff.

19. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    I'm still on this TalkBass app on my phone and apparently it doesn't display photos?

I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm on a computer lol

20. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    I'm a bit worried as the shot sent to me today bears a striking resemblance to a photo of the locking output jack from this ad: SOLD - PRICE DROP!!! German Warwick Fortress Masterman 5 (https://www.talkbass.com/attachments/warwick-fortress-masterman-5-3-jpg.877510/). The filled in hole from the strap peg looks like where the .... rubber bumper? ... thing is on the older ad

.... also just noticed the older ad is is also posted by someone from the same city as me.... my spidey sense is tingling. I will have to dig around a bit more on this one.

Still would like advice.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017