1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Warwick Fortress Masterman 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Delsan, May 21, 2017.

1. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    Price:
    Strings:
    Gave this beast a decent trial run for a few months. It's got a really unique sound, similar to a Music Man, but with its own deep-growling twist.

I've taken good care of it while I've had it (as I do with any instrument), but even I'm in awe of what kind of condition this thing is in.

It's not my cup of tea, but it's a really amazing bass that deserves a good home. It's in superb condition, and has one tiny little nick on the lower horn about the size of a pencil eraser. It's not really that noticeable, but just giving full disclosure.

Other than that, the fretwork and neck are like new. It's a 1999, and the neck is Ovangkol, the fretboard is Wenge. The body is Maple. The horn makes it very well balanced.

The finish is called "Nirvana Black", which is Warwick's proprietary colored oil-finish. This finish is really dark and smooth looking, and it has a satin-feeling to it when played. Don't even need a sweatband!

The neck is slimmer than you'd expect (if you're used to playing Warwicks). I think it might have something to do with the year, but when playing on a 5 string of a more modern era, there was a definite difference in grip. I'd say this [almost] vintage neck is way more comfortable.

As I said, the sound is like a MM Stingray. It's not QUITE the same, but it's in the same market.

Any questions will be answered.

Edit: More pics added. That nick is the only sign of use on the entire bass.
    18624445_10213375055677954_926364000_n.jpg 18643450_10213375055757956_79865858_n.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Very cool!!!!

Delsan likes this.
  3. Yeah, nice bass.

Delsan likes this.
  4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I used to own this bass. I purchased it new and it was never out of the house in the years I owned it. It plays and sounds awesome! GLWS

lancimouspitt and Delsan like this.
  5. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    I remember the thread lol.

6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    These basses sound great. That double J pickup with dummy coil and dual preamp setup puts out a wide variety of tones and is very adjustable. Your price is good too, if I hadn't just bought a streamer stg 1 I'd go for this one. Good luck!

Delsan likes this.
  7. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    Coincidentally, I just got a Streamer Stage 1 and I'm in heaven. But the cost was like double this. Lol

8. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I know, I hunted a used one down for a couple months to avoid dropping 3k. It is awesome though.

Delsan likes this.
  9. NailDriver

NailDriver

Dec 27, 2008
    WI
    Ugh. I want.

Delsan likes this.
  10. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    It's still here man! :p

11. NailDriver

NailDriver

Dec 27, 2008
    WI
    How's the low B? Everything Fenderish seems to have a weak low B. My $$ doesn't have that problem.

12. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    After owning both a five string $$ and this one, I compared the two side by side. This one has a stronger low b. The $$ had features that I liked too, more based around its attack-tones and the neck pickup's integration. I believe the exposed poles give a $$ a bit more harmonic overtone, while the Masterman has more of a throaty snarl.

I can't speak for Fender 5s but my double buck had a splendid B. I've heard Fenders are better for 4 stringers than 5s- and while I'm definitely more of a 4 string player, I like my 5s to be strong. The Masterman fits that bill.

This thing is bursting with tone as well, and I believe it gets its stronger B string from the space between the B and the pickup.

The attacks are very defined without a lot of snapback clacking. And it just feels a lot less crowded than a double buck. (Don't get me wrong. My $$ 4 is one of my main instruments).

I would call this instrument highly unique and it's a perfect midground between a prized Thumb and a Music Man Stingray. It has much less mid-centric attack than my thumb NT, and while the Thumb blasts every attack, the Masterman is more of a throbbing tone by comparison. It's stupid-good for metal.

I know that's more than you asked for. But I figured I'd kill a few birds.

Basses mentioned. I'll miss my blue fiver- but my 4 is just as good with a little more legroom for my playing style.

Attached Files:

Reedt2000 likes this.
  13. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Delsan likes this.
  14. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
  15. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    co-founder, SynapticGroove
    Fortress Masterman's are amazing basses! GLWTS!

bass6strng and Delsan like this.
  16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Anybody compared the masterman with the Streamer Pro-M before?

17. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Pretty sure the only difference is the body shape

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021