warwick fortress masterman.. yes? no? maybe so?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by let_your_soulfly, Aug 31, 2002.

1. let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    hello. *waves*
    well there is a VERY sweet 4 string warwick fortress masterman at my local music store. it's light blue with a pearl(looks like it) pick plate. pick plate on a warwick? yea, i haven't gazed upon that either. but it looks amazing. i didn't have a chance to plug it in, but i did do the 30 second jam on the bass (i was in a rush) and the sound/feel was extremely nice. it was on sale for $999 (canadian).

meow (super troopers anyone? :D), i AM looking for a new bass. i currently play a 5 string ibanez sound gear (SR 405 if anyone cares). it is a nice bass, but i feel like 'moving up' in the field so to speak. i've played many a bass, and i'm really looking at either a sterling 4 or a warwick. i love the feel of both basses. yet i'm drawn to the warwicks. anyone have any stories or reviews on the fortress masterman? do you think that is a good price for one? it is out of production and all...

anything is very much appreciated. thanks in advace :)
  2. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    warwick wont really get you that much farther up. i have a thumb bolt on 4 string, yes i love it, but there is really too much hype in warwick these days. you have to have a keen eye to select a quality warwick. the fortress series is discontinued in terms of imports from germany. look at ZON (www.zonguitars.com), ZON makes some pretty up-there basses. they are amazing.

if the bass you tried stands out to you from the others, and if you like its tone, the way it is, that is what counts. get it if you like it. i am just stating the facts.
  3. jlmorgan

May 12, 2002
    I've never played a Fortress Masterman but I do own a Fortress One and it is a great bass. The thing I like about the Fortress series of bases is that they balance like a dream. I play with a regular guitar(as in the six string variety) strap and I can put the bass at any angle no sweat. I bought my Fortress(in exellent condition) for a little over 600 USD, and I thought it was a good deal. If you like the bass then by all means buy it. It's a shame Warwick stopped making them.
  4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    The Fortress Masterman is incredible, very popular with studio guys the dual 2 band preamp (one for each single coil) allows for incredible versatility. This helps out in live situations also. But, It sounds like you are refering the the Fortress Flashback (with the pickguard and ash body instead of flamed maple), the Mastermans never came with the pickguard. According to Warwick the Masterman series is becoming highly sought after since it is out of production, and as most others will attest, the older models are the best. The 3 piece Wenge neck is ten times better sounding (growl) than the cheap ovangkol. Wenge is just VERY hard to come by, especially since wars are being fought over it in Africa. I believe the necks changed over in 1998 so anything before that would be good, and I have noticed that 1996 and earilier are better much better playing basses with greater attention to detail and better quality wood used. The difference between a Fortress Masterman and a fortress flashback or Fortress, is quite astounding, the other basses don't hold a candle- in my opinion. Let me know if you have any other questions, Marc
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dual independant preamps? Damn. That sounds very cool. Just got GAS for one alluva sudden... :D
  6. [​IMG]

I have a red '97 Streamer Pro M.

The Streamer version of the fabled Master Man Dual Preamp System.

Kicks Butt and Highly Recommended.
    Out of Production and Very Collectable.

7. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I also have one for sale, if anyone is interested, 1996 Honey violin finish, I am moving to 5 strings, probably another Fortress MM