Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Fortress Masterman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jive1, Oct 29, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I went into guitar center yesterday to check out an OLP Stingray copy. It actually wasn't that bad. But, then I noticed a used Fortress Masterman on the wall, I had to check the thing out. The thing plays as well as my Fortress one. The newer warwicks with the ovangkol necks just don't compare to the old ones with all wenge necks. The brass just-a-nut rocks too. This had a nice amber maple finish, like my Fortress One.
    I plugged it into an Ampeg at the store and proceeded to rock out. Let me tell you, the pickup system on this thing rocks. Gets the MM tone, but with some extra balls. Nice growl, and a wide range of tones from the unique preamp. This does have that characteristic Warwick sound, but I like that. The preamp does let you do quite a bit of tweaking, and the tweaks are pretty unique considering you get a preamp for each coil of a humbucker. Real sweet sound, amazing playablity.
    So this morning I head over to GC right when they opened, and brought in my Fernandes Gravity 5. They took my bass and $350 and I walked out with the Fortress Masterman with a Warwick hard case:D . I can't believe it, but I actually got a good deal from Guitar Center. Imagine that, I walk out of Guitar Center without feeling ripped off. I actually felt like I might have gotten the upper hand. Still trying to get over it.

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice, but you missed the most important thing: Pics!!!!

:D

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I had one of those for a while. Very nice bass.

Congrats!!!

4. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Dude, I just got the thing less than an hour ago.;) I'll try to get em up tonight.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Congratulations!!!! I always wanted a Fortress but we all know what I'm obsessing on now.

I've told this story countless times but must do it once more since it relates. Several years ago I was walking out of a Guitar Center and my wonderful, musician friendly girlfriend said, "Joe! Isn't that a Streamer for $500!!!" I turned around and in their closeout section they had a red streamer M for $500. FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!. I believe that was just about exactly what I had in my bank account at the time (it was a good month :D ), and I immediately swiped it up. Checked for cracks, warped neck, etc. It even had the wenge neck. The only reason to this day that I can figure them selling it for that price is because they were complete idiots. The bass was in the store for years because all the knobs needed tightening, it needed a set up, the strings were about to roll in their graves, and the gold hardware was getting that dark film all over it.

I swear that night was like heaven to me.... cleaned the whole thing, changed strings, tightened things up, set it up. The bass was mint. I sold it a couple of months later for $1000 bucks with 1 quick posting. I miss it still. AAAAHhhhhhhhhhh.......

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Nothing like the Warwick Dual J's with
    Dual Preamps.
    Kicks serious butt.

Bought my Red Streamer Pro M new in '97 for
    $1,500. Worth every penny. My #1 instrument.
    Will never sell.

7. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Here's a pic of my Fortresses. The Masterman is on the right
    [​IMG]

8. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    The Fortress One Masterman is perhaps the best bass ever made. I might pick another one up next year to add to my collection, especially if I could score a deal like that. Occasionally, I'll see one on E-bay, but their becoming scarce.

9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have the 5'er in that same color. SWEET bass! I have had mine since 97 and I kinda f'd up the electronics, but other than that, they are amazingly well made basses.
    Also, you got a GREAT deal, I'm surprised since GC usually does try to rip people a bit.
    As for the $500 Pro M... that's a steal, but you gotta love when a company has such deep pockets that when they say they have to clear something out, it gets CLEARED.

PS: Jive, I know you know this, but to everyone else... the Fortress balances on the body better than any bass EVER!

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how much are the fortress one mastermans worth?
    is $600 a good price?

thanks
    steve

11. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    That's a good price. I'd buy it for that much. these guys are getting harder and harder to find.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    here in mancheseter (england) theres one i a local pawn shop for 680 USD, seemed like a VERY good price to me, old style neck etc, good condition. i played it and it played like crap tho. i was really dissappointed.

it sounded REALLY REALLY bad. i guess the strings could just be really old.

would that have made is sound crap?:bassist:

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Ill trade it for ya blue one?

hehe
    steve

14. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    To me, nothing sounds better than a Warwick with fresh strings. Nothing sounds worse than a Warwick with dead strings. It's not like a Fender, where if the strings are dull it still has some vintage vibe. With a Warwick, dead strings kill the "Sound of Wood". If you are interested in getting the bass, you should see if they'll put on a fresh set of strings and let you evaluate it.

15. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    WORD! Without a doubt. It's a heavy bass, but's still comfy. It's strange that Warwick made one of the best balancing basses (Fortress) and one of the worst balanced (Thumb).

Steve-O:
    I was looking for a Blue Fortress Flashback for a while, can't trade it, unless it's for another Blue Fortress Flashback with a 2Tek Bridge.

16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I dunno.

I keep TI Flats on the Pro M.
    Much more growl & 'woodiness' then fresh Black Labels.

17. Bassmouse3

Bassmouse3

Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    Oh, the joy of Warwicks. My streamer Pro M 4 string natural (with all wenge neck :D ) is my #1 bass ever! It growls! :)

18. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    TIs are a different category, and i'm sure they sound awesome on your Warwick. But even flatwounds can go dead.

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i can't find a flashback at all..im surprised that i even found a fortress

and i want it bad....!!!!

but i don't think i can...maybe

steve

20. i think the fortresses are one of the sexiest basses ever made. i've never heard about the dual preamp before though. what is it, volume/bass/treble for each p'up?

why have warwick stopped making these basses?!?!?!?!? :confused:

Tom