Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick- Fortress One or Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pete_the_beat, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Hey guys I need a little advice. I'm considering which bass to buy. A Fortress One or a Thumb bolt-on by Warwick. I just can't decide.
    Help me out here!!!:confused:

2. I would pick the fortress because i dont really like thumb basses, but as far as warwicks go, i would get a streamer jazzman. that might more $$$ though.

3. I love Fortress One, good slap bass with plenty of low-mids and punch, but its good for other techniques too. I haven't tried out the Thumb yet. But I think warwick stopped making the Fortress One, so, you will probably want to buy one soon, if that's what you want.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Warwick no longer makes the Fortress One (as far as I know), but they still seem to be quite available at quite a few dealers that still have em around, and there are always a few on Ebay it seems like.

I just about bought one a couple years ago, but I bought my Cirrus 5 instead. I personally prefer the tone of the Thumb bass over the Fortress. But, the Fortress basses balance extremely well, whereas the Thumb does not (neck dive).

Play them both, make sure you strap them on and try them standing up if you can. They are both great basses, so buy whichever one seems to fit you the best.

5. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    I've owned a Fortress One for a few years, and love it. I compared it to several other warwicks, and thought it had the best sound. Warwicks seem to all have a great growl, and a lot of character in their tone, but I found the Fortress to be warmer. I actually string mine with flatwounds. I never got to try the Thumb bolt on, but I did try the regular Thumb bass. It was used, so I could have got it for only a little more than the Fortress One, but I just didn't like it as much. The extreme curve of the body bothered me a little. I'm sure you'll be happy with either. Warwicks are great. Good luck!

6. Question..
    why do many people talk about the Streamer Jazzman, while the F.N.A. Jazzman is also a good option ??

(F.N.A. Owner talking here :p )

ehm..I would prefer the Thumb...

7. I have a thumb 5 bolt on and i love it, i think its better than the fortress one, but thats my opinion. all warwick just about is great for slapping, ryknow from mudvayne is a good example of a proud warwick user

8. When I tried them at GC they sounded very similar but as far as feel go I would say go w/ the Thumb, but thats probably because I like smaller bodied basses.

9. Well guys I finally made up my mind. I'm going for the Thumb bass. I also get a 30% discount so it's going to cost lesser than the Fortress One and I get a hardcase to, almost for free.

10. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    Congradulations. Hope you enjoy it.