1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Fortress One

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AnTz0r, Oct 26, 2003.

1. I would like some more info about the Fortress One. Couldnt find much about it with search, everyone seems to have a corvette, streamer or thumb :meh:

In my local guitar store, they have a new, natural, 4-string, P/J passive one for sale. It costs € 900.
    First of all, is this a good price for this one? I cant find any other store that still has it.

I played it for a while. Sounded quite good actually. Im returning for it this week, im gonna ask if they could raise the action a bit (fret buzz!!! those bridges should be raiseble all together right?).

I'm gonna use it in a '80s metal band, things like megadeth.

On tone, i like heavy, finger, with a tad of punch. I do NOT like dave ellefon's P-tone for example, that just turns me off :)

Is this a good idea?

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I don't know how the currency converts to dollars to know if it is a good buy or not. The passive model (properly known as the Fortress One R&B) was the bottom of the line Warwick when it was made. The instrument quality of these are exactly like the active models, just with passive pickups and no preamp. I personally love the Fortress design...other then the Infinity it is my favorite Warwick design...and it balances good with the extended upper horn. I have seen the active ones go in the $600 range, so the passive should be a bit less then that.

Do you like the sound? I have a fretted Corvette 4 with the passive J's and the pickups don't so much for me. On the other hand, I also have a fretless Corvette 4 with the passive J's the sounds really good. Personally, I would look for an active version, either with the P-J pickup combination or a Fortress One Masterman with the Double-J. These are both killer!

Just my two cents worth...

Steve