1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Fortress One

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Helix, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    I thought I’d show you guy’s a ’94 Fortress One that I picked up about a week ago

This weekend I decided to do a re-finish

I also had some chrome hardware from another project laying around and replaced the gold

So far I think it’s looking pretty good……take a look

Pic from when I got it

part0.jpg

And after the new paint job

20180318_170111.jpg
    20180318_170407.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    A couple of pics during the re-fin

W1.jpg

WII.png

WIII.jpg

3. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Looks great!

mbelue and Helix like this.
  4. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Thanks man!......I think I'll swap out the pup's to, but I'm still debating what brand

My first thought was the W/W Nordstrand Blades.....still kind of on the fence though

5. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Always loved the Fortress line.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice looking! nice refinish job, too! :thumbsup:

7. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Thanks @JRA !

JRA likes this.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :thumbsup:
    Looks good!

Helix likes this.
  9. Roccafella

Roccafella

May 20, 2009
    Orangevale, CA
    Wow, she's beautiful!!!
    what type of finish is that?
    i like the matte look. 20180322_215823.jpg
    I have a "violet" '96 ive been a bit chicken to refin. The color never did grow on me.

Thanks for a bit of inspiration...

Helix likes this.
  10. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Thanks man!

When I was looking around for a Fortress I almost bought a violet one. It was owned by a punk band in Hollywood and unfortunately it was really beat up. But yours looks like it's in real good shape

Anyway, I did a DIY. I sanded it down, pretty much all the way to bare wood, primed it, sanded the primer to get a nice level smooth surface to paint on, and shot it with 3 coats of mate black, and then 3 coats of Satin clear (using Rust O'leam products) and that was it

It's really not that hard, but it takes time for everything to dry in between coats.....if your thinking about doing it to yours, you can PM me and I'll help if you need it

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Reedt2000 likes this.
  11. Roccafella

Roccafella

May 20, 2009
    Orangevale, CA
    Have you decided on new pups yet?
    whadjya git?

I recently replaced the active MEC'S with Nordstrands in my PJ Fortress. The NJ4SE and NP4A specifically. I like them OK but I feel she's still missing something. I also installed a 4band Audere Classic pre last year which made a huge improvement. So really she no longer has the guts to create that "Warwick Growl" yet somehow she still pulls it off.

Helix likes this.
  12. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    I know a couple of people that have swapped out the pups on their Wick and have said the same thing....you know Warwicks moto....."The Sound of Wood"....so maybe their tone is baked into the wood???.....who knows?

But no not yet.....I was thinking about some Barts and am still thinking about the Nordy Big Blades W/W.....put I did add a MEC preamp to the passive MEC's that were already in it.....it definitely gave it some punch

But since the OP I bought a new neck for it straight from Warwick with the old Serial Number stamped on the back. I wanted something thinner then what the original came (comes) with.....while she was down waiting for delivery I added a little something to the finish.....check it out

20180615_182926.jpg

And a few pics of the new neck.....it's hard to see but if you look at the Serial Number it says it's a '94

20180615_183029.jpg

20180615_183838.jpg

And look at that beautiful Wenge!

20180615_183059.jpg

So what this is now, is a

'94 Maple Body
    '17 Hardware (from a Streamer)
    '18 Masterbuilt Wenge Neck with a brass JAN
    MEC Passive Pups
    MEC pre amp (from a '15 Thumb)
    And a custom Helix Finish

There's a lot of MOJO in this bass :)

13. Roccafella

Roccafella

May 20, 2009
    Orangevale, CA
    Nice Work Dude! Stepped it up a few notches since i saw her last, shes a solid 8.5 now. How much faster is she since the stripe install?
    All the best of Warwick frankened onto their best looking body style.
    Very well done

Helix likes this.
  14. Roccafella

Roccafella

May 20, 2009
    Orangevale, CA
    and as far as the baked in Wick tone, I gotta call shenanigans. Everytime i start an argument with natural law and physics and such I end up looking stupid. its probably my ears because she's been my goto bass for 10+ years. cant wait to paint her

15. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Yours is beautiful just the way she is.....but a little paint and polish would make her feel like brand new again

Make sure you post some pics when you get around to doing it......I'll be waiting for em':)

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021