warwick fortress-one!*?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassarch, Aug 8, 2001.

1. bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    hello bassist-friends out there

I have always felt myself attracted to warwicks from the start ..the players I admire mostly (both playing and tone ) use these basses...stuart zender first of all comes to my mind.....and of all the warwicks I liked fortress most considering both the price and the special design...especially the upper horn design seemed very cool to me.
    Well now I am about to purchase a warwick fortress-one for quite a good deal...When I first saw it I immediately went in the shop ,plugged in ,tried it and it felt quite ok for the music style of my band (so to say an alternative rock band with a být of funk-taste...or smt like that :) though I realized a lack of roundness in lows and very very! attacking mids ..:) after having a few disscussion with my bassist friends they said other warwick models (of the same price range ! ) are said to be more versatile and better than fortress...although my heart goes for fortress I dont want to make a wrong decision.....
    what do you guys recommend me? which one would you prefer and why ?.....
    I 'd be very appreciative for your opinions.

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    There are Fortress models with 4 different pickup combinations, though I am not sure if you can find the 2 passive styles other then used...

Anyway, they are:
    1. Fortress One Active with P-J combination (J-J for 5 string)...tons of bottom with clear mids and highs.
    2. Fortress One Masterman (active) with one "double J" pickup...doesn't have as much mid or bottom as the P-J combination, but has a much brighter top end...the bottom is there, just not as much as the P-J combination.
    3. Fortress One Flashback with two passive lipstick style pickups (the bridge position pickup is actually a double lipstick humbucker)...a really cool sound, different from anything else out there...sounds nothing like a Dano.
    4. Fortress One R&B with passive P-J combination...haven't played one, but I have a passive Corvette, and the J's are quite bright, a lot like Duncan Vintage J's.

They are all great basses IMHO...I have the Fortress One Active in both 4 and 5, the Masterman in both 4 and 5, and the Flashback 4...my personal favorite is the Fortress One Active, I think.