1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

warwick fortress-one!*?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassarch, Aug 8, 2001.

1. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    hello bassist-friends out there

I have always felt myself attracted to warwicks from the start ..the players I admire mostly (both playing and tone ) use these basses...stuart zender first of all comes to my mind.....and of all the warwicks I liked fortress most considering both the price and the special design...especially the upper horn design seemed very cool to me.
    Well now I am about to purchase a warwick fortress-one for quite a good deal...When I first saw it I immediately went in the shop ,plugged in ,tried it and it felt quite ok for the music style of my band (so to say an alternative rock band with a být of funk-taste...or smt like that :) though I realized a lack of roundness in lows and very very! attacking mids ..:) after having a few disscussion with my bassist friends they said other warwick models (of the same price range ! ) are said to be more versatile and better than fortress...although my heart goes for fortress I dont want to make a wrong decision.....
    what do you guys recommend me? which one would you prefer and why ?.....
    I 'd be very appreciative for your opinions.

Thanks!

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    There are Fortress models with 4 different pickup combinations, though I am not sure if you can find the 2 passive styles other then used...

Anyway, they are:
    1. Fortress One Active with P-J combination (J-J for 5 string)...tons of bottom with clear mids and highs.
    2. Fortress One Masterman (active) with one "double J" pickup...doesn't have as much mid or bottom as the P-J combination, but has a much brighter top end...the bottom is there, just not as much as the P-J combination.
    3. Fortress One Flashback with two passive lipstick style pickups (the bridge position pickup is actually a double lipstick humbucker)...a really cool sound, different from anything else out there...sounds nothing like a Dano.
    4. Fortress One R&B with passive P-J combination...haven't played one, but I have a passive Corvette, and the J's are quite bright, a lot like Duncan Vintage J's.

They are all great basses IMHO...I have the Fortress One Active in both 4 and 5, the Masterman in both 4 and 5, and the Flashback 4...my personal favorite is the Fortress One Active, I think.

Steve