1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Fortress P pickup replacement issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kaergbo, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Kaergbo

Kaergbo

Aug 26, 2017
    Dutchland
    Hey bass connaisseurs,

I just switched the MEC P pickup in my trusted Warwick Fortress to a SPB3. And it doesn't work. I think my error is in cutting the original wire before its connection, and then soldering the hot wire from the SBP3 to the original wire. I attached the ground wire to the volume pot. (see image) The original J pickup still works, but nothing from the SPB3. What did I mess up? Thank you in advance for your input,

Karel

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    It looks like the original pu wire had a hot in the center with shielding around it. I wonder if you new pu hot ended up shorting to the shield in the original pu wire. You might just eliminate the original all together and solder your hot and ground to the same locations as the original.

These aren't active pickups are they? The original would have gold logo.

3. Kaergbo

Kaergbo

Aug 26, 2017
    Dutchland
    Thank you for your quick reply. You're exactly right, the original wire was double shielded, with a very small actual center. I did it this way because the original hot wire goes into some kind of print plate, and my soldering skills are way too terrible for that.
    If I understand correctly my new wire connection is shorting because the pick up wire is connecting with the shielding in the original wire? This sounds like something I could correct by redoing it. This is my first attempt at something like this, so I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. The pickups are passive Seymour Duncan SPB-3's.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I see the original goes into the back of what looks like a small circuit card. Maybe splice your new wire in after the original pu wire gound on top of the pot. That way you know you're only working with the got lead.

5. Kaergbo

Kaergbo

Aug 26, 2017
    Dutchland
    That's a great idea. I'm gonna try that immediately. Will update. Thank you,

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Looking at you photo I might also re-do the new pu ground. Your solder spot looks awful small. I'd just solder it into an existing gound like where the bare wire ground is soldered.

7. Kaergbo

Kaergbo

Aug 26, 2017
    Dutchland
    Very well spotted. Again, my first attempt at soldering, so it is indeed a pretty poopy job. If this works, and I have no hum, can I just leave it that way? Or will it deteriorate in some way? -- haha it edited sh*tty to 'poopy'. That is slightly disappointing ;)

8. NigelD

NigelD Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Warwick blend pots are harder to work with when replacing pups because of how the coaxial lead is wired to the pot from the factory. Your hot connects to the circuit board (short white wire),shield connects to the solder joint on the pot. Take your time and test for operation before sealing the connections.
    Or you can just replace the MEC blend with a MN 250k blend pot. (Follow WalterW's no-load blend pot diagram in this forum) GL.

9. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yeah you should be fine. The bare wire jumps out all of the components so you'll have a complete ground.

10. Kaergbo

Kaergbo

Aug 26, 2017
    Dutchland
    Im perplexed. It works. @Reedt2000 , initially I wanted to splice the wire in, but when I removed the old lead, I saw the first solder spot was just to hold it in place. So I skipped that, and soldered my new wire directly onto the print plate, something I was hesitant of at first. But yes. A quick tap with the old screwdriver and: we're in business. Time for them flatwounds. Thanks a lot, especially to Reedt. This has gone from slightly frustrating to extremely satisfying in three posts. You gotta love the internet.

BR

Attached Files:

Aqualung60 and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Glad I could help a fellow Warwick player (I've got a bo corvette and a nt streamer)

Helix and Kaergbo like this.
  12. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    The original Warwick pickup just used the braided shield as the pickup ground so it goes to the top of the pot and the hot continues to the terminal on the card. Your new pickup has a separate conductor for its ground so it can go anywhere in the ground system of your circuit and the new hot simply goes to the terminal the original hot went to

13. Kaergbo

Kaergbo

Aug 26, 2017
    Dutchland
    So we're all set up and it sounds pretty damn good :). There's one little thing I need to ask, or it will haunt me forever. As you can see, I installed the P pickup where the one most near the neck bears the Seymour Duncan logo. When I look online, almost all pictures of basses with this pickup have the logo on the other part of the pickup (the one nearer to the bridge). Would this affect the sound? Thanks again y'all!

BR

Attached Files:

14. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. They will work either way. Install instructions show the coil with the white lead going on the bass string side. I didn't see anything online to indicate if the coils are wound any different. It's not hard to switch em around, or if you like what you've got them just stick with it. It's your ears that matter in the end.

Attached Files:

15. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Glad you got it all worked out. :)

Earlier this year I had the same issue with a 90's Warwick P/J I have. Here's a link to the thread with some pics and a little more info:

Warwick V/V/T/T wiring confusion

Kaergbo likes this.
  16. At this point in time you may be willing to consider switching to a quarter pounder for the bridge pickup also ..

17. Kaergbo

Kaergbo

Aug 26, 2017
    Dutchland
    Wow, you went to almost exactly the same steps as I did. Did you end up replacing your J pickup as well, and if so, with what? I'm starting to like this modding thing ;)

18. Kaergbo

Kaergbo

Aug 26, 2017
    Dutchland
    At this point I am ;). Do you have any recommendations? Thanks,

19. It's the jazz neck pickup version of the P pickup you have just installed from Seymour Duncan ... big poles and big power

20. Kaergbo

Kaergbo

Aug 26, 2017
    Dutchland
    Yeah, you mean the SJB-3. After some research, I'm leaning more towards the Classic Stack or Hot Stack, or maybe a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz. I figure I want that to use that J-pick up to dial in some hi/hi mid to blend with the QP P-pickup.
    This is based on some superficial research though, so I might change my mind.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021