Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Fortress

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daasbraad, Oct 6, 2005.

1. daasbraad

daasbraad

May 13, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Guys,

some help required with my next purchase. I'm going to buy a passive Warwick Fortress for € 400, but I can't find anything about them on the warwick site. Here's a pic:

fotos.marktplaats.nl/fotos/muziek/basgitaren/16741.jpg

I'd like to know about the electronics and the wood used.

Thanks in advance !

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I believe the Fortress basses were discontinued before the more drastic Warwick changes, so methinks the neck is a wenge/wenge combination rather than ovangkol/wenge. The pups are MEC and the pre is an MEC 2-band. I *think* they used swamp ash for the Fortresses, but I'm not sure. I do know they used flame maple for the Fortress Masterman basses.

Because the Fortress was discontinued from the German Warwick line, you find no information on them. There is a Rockbass Fortress with a swamp ash body, maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard.

On a sidenote, the Fortress is my favorite Warwick body shape and it puzzles me why they discontinued it in their German line. That long upper horn looks like it'd balance the bass really well.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, me too, I don't understand why either.
    And indeed it does balance well.

5. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    The early Fortress with P + J (later called Fortress One) had a 3 pieces Ash body.
    When they introduced the Fortress One the body became a 2 pieces Maple.
    I think that bass has a Mape Body.

It seems to have a brass nut, so it should have a Wengé neck.

If it's a very early one (Ash body), made around 1993-1994 it should have passive pickups and either active or passive electronics.
    If it's a Fortress One it has active electronics and either active or passive pickups.

ps If you can, ask the serial number.

6. daasbraad

daasbraad

May 13, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the reactions! Well I bought the bass and it's amazing.

the serial number btw (@ maxbass) is K 026726 95. The electronics are passive, so no preamp. The body is two piece (insert wood) and the neck is three piece (insert wood).