Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick fretless and slaping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jun 16, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok, im in the seasrch for a warwick..... and i weondered how about a fretless, it would be entering a place im not familiar, but has a lot to offer....

the thing is that im a big slapper, so, how about slapping in a fretless? yay or nay?

anyone who owns one can tell me his experience

thancks!

2. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    my friend owns a thumb n/t 4 fretless, and the slapping sounds awesome, really really smooth. Hes a big slapper as well.

Regards,
    H

3. Well, I played a Warwick Corvette 4 Standard at Guitar Center and did a tad of slapping on it. Sounded pretty good to my and my girlfriends ears...

...But, from what I've heard, and have been told, you shouldn't be slapping on a fretless to begin with, it tears up the fretboard very quickly, and very easily. And with Warwick's beautiful Ebony fretboards, who would want to do that!?

But I guess if you don't mind tearing up the FB, then you should be okay, I just wouldn't lay down money on a new one to slap on, I would get a used one from ebay, or a local shop. If you're going to buy a new 'Wick, I would reccomend against slapping it. But hey, that's just me.

~Ryan.

4. Malodorous

Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    Illinois
    Listen to "You can call me Al" by Paul Simon.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    so the fretboear will broke ? or just look bad?

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Slapping is tricky(er) on a fretless. It can tear-up the end of your fingerboard because there isn't a last fret there to take the abuse, but it is purely cosmetic, you aren't going to be playing your E and A strings up there anyhow. Many fretless players use flat wound or half/ground wound strings to reduce fingerboard wear, If you slap alot this may not be an option for you. All in all because of the aggressive string movements involved with slapping you will shorten the service live of your fingerboard, but that's what planing is for, depending on your touch, string choice, and how much you're playing your fingerboard could last a good long time!

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I own a Corvette Std Fretless. It sound Ok but the Ebony gets a bit worn out if you abuse. Remember that strings (steel or nickel) are hitting directly against the fretboard wood (Ebony in this case).

I wouldn`t recommend it.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    One thing I forgot to mention. As far as fretless basses for slapping are concerned I would think a Warwick would be a good choice with it's fast response and punchy, woody articulation.

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have a Corvette Fretless, and I do slap on it.
    I used roundwounds on it, and now it has groundwounds on them. It loses some of the brightness, but it has saves the fingerboard. It doesn't sound like a typical slap tone, it's percussive and growly, but it doesn't have the 'zing' that I'm used to.

The edge of the fingerboard is what gets the most wear. As far as the fretboard is concerned, bending and vibrato will wear it out more than slapping. You can get the fretboard refinished a couple of times though. Warwick boards are thick enough for at least 2-3 refinishes.

I've actually considered adding a strip of brass to the edge of the fretboard to save on wear, and give it more of a slap tone.

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    That's an interesting idea, I would run with that one!!