Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkdified, Sep 14, 2005.

1. OK so I have this college refund check burning a hole in my pocket. I want a fretless and seriously thinking of a corvette std unlined. But I never played one and don't know what to expect. I have played fretted ones and liked them. So if someone can give me an impression of them that would be great or a sound clip would be better? I would go into GC and try one but they always surround me like a hawk and try to get me to buy one.

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I own one.
    They have superb tone with plenty of mwah.
    Consider that they´re a bit heavy though.
    This is my first fretless and I´ve bought only for recording.
    I´ve never played a fretless before, so the unlined FB is a real
    challenge for correct intonation. I really had to practice hard
    to hit the right note pitch. I´ve strung it wiht D´addario rounds and they´re ok.

3. Nothing that hasn't been said before, large amounts of growl... I think they're fantastic, go to GC and tell them "you're just looking".. they won't both you. Just make sure you test it with an amp you know well to really hear how the bass sounds...

4. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I've had a fretless 'Vette for about a year and a half and I have a very high regard for it. It's one of the best sounding, most versatile basses I have ever played.

I wouldn't worry about the unlined fingerboard, you'll get used to it quickly enough, just learn to trust your ears.

5. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I don't own a fretless and want one really bad, the same one as you in fact - but I haven't got the cash for one. I tried one at GC, had no problems to my ears or my family's. I'm sure I may have been slightly off, but if you practice you'll be just fine. I suggest you go for it, worst case scenario you can sell it to me for cheap ;)

6. If you like the character of the fretted ones, I'd say the fretless one won't disappoint. It has a lot of the same character - thick, aggressive tone, loads of mwah without sounding too artificial. It's the kind of bass that might enjoy some flatwounds, though - it's a bit too hot for my liking. And, of course, the baseball bat neck... :D if you find it comfortable, more power to you. Some just don't. I have my reservations about the shape but the non-finished wenge/ovangkol neck is smooth and fast - great for fretless.

7. When I meant that I never played "one" I meant a fretless warwick not fretless in general. I used to play the upright in Jazz band in high school about 6 years ago and had a fretless MIJ Jazz back then too. Thanks for the respones. I now have something to spend this college refund check on besides beer.

8. Id ask them to order a Fretless Thumb for you, Its 10x better IMO and its worth the extra $$$. Im currently contemplating a fretless or fretted Thumb 5(High C).

9. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Own one, will never, ever, ever get rid of it.