1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick German Corvette DoubleBuck $$ 4 questions about tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VoxRox, Nov 17, 2018.

1. VoxRox

VoxRox Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Hello, I have a 2008 Corvette Doublebuck German made 4 string. It has swamp ash body, an ovangkol neck and 2 MEC humbuckers. My question is, why does this bass sound thumpy and woody and a jazzman (MEC humbucker and neck jazz) Streamer LX that I played recently sounds so bright and growly like a Spector? Is it the neck and body woods? I thought my Corvette (which I bought used) would be really aggressive and growly with the 2 humbuckers. The controls seem to all work and you can change the sound somewhat but it doesn't get quite the sound I had imagined and ends up being some variation of the woody, darker sound I mentioned. The sound is very nice for what it does and has tons of sustain, I am just a bit confused. Can you do anything to the preamp/pickups to make it sound more like the sound I hear in my head (Spector or Streamer-like)? I am hoping the answer given is not "go out and buy a Spector or a Streamer". Haha, thanks.

2. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    I have an almost identical bass, but with five strings, also made in 2008. Mine has always sounded like your description. I have flats on mine and use it exclusively at church in a praise band. I've tried steel rounds but still have never gotten the growl that everyone says all Warwicks have. I'm guessing not all have it. But I did research online, plus played through several Warwicks one afternoon at the Nashville shop, and this model was still what I need for what I do. I only use two pedals, a limiter/compressor set at 4/1 ratio, and a bass chorus. I get compliments almost weekly on how good the bass sounds in the mix so for me this is all I need. I use IEM which helps me hear myself much better than floor monitors. I have neck pup on parallel and the bridge pup on single. I have set the pups about 1/2 between the strings and their lowest setting. Setting them closer to the strings pulls on them and makes tuning difficult. Although the neck is slightly curved (width not length) I keep the strings level at the bridge. That works for me but might not feel right for you. Sustain is good but if I put the limiter on a 8/1 ratio and have the bass knob on full I can get a much longer sustain. And depending upon your amp/speaker you might get some growl on the low strings doing that. Any questions - fire away. Or send PM.

3. VoxRox

VoxRox Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Thanks at least that tells me mine is normal. I have had a couple Stingrays and since this has humbuckers like a ray I thought it would sound like a more complex Stingray. Oh well. The sound that it gets is great for some stuff and I love to just sit around and play it but for the band I play a Jazz or my Jazz Bass Special. I would play this if it were brighter (I mostly use a pick). Also the Warwick is a bit clicky with a pick. By the way does yours have 2 MECs but only one battery? How bout a knob on the preamp internals? Mine no.

4. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    I have only one 9-volt battery and if I don't remove it after use it will drain pretty quickly. I have considered changing the pickups to a more aggressive set but these are fine for what I do with them. They are passive so I can pull the volume knob out and still play it like a passive bass. I like the tones I get in passive but our church has an inexpensive PA and I really need active to get out into the room. I just use my fingers. If I had to get a growl for another band I'd consider a 4-string P bass with rounds and non-standard pickups. But for now this bass is all I need.

5. VoxRox

VoxRox Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2018
    OK that is all helpful, thank you. I just now realized you can pull up the volume knob on mine as well (after your reply) so I will give that a try today. I still really like this bass and I am intrigued with Warwick in general. The Jazzman Streamer that I saw does the growly sound perfectly so maybe I just need to find out a way to have both of them. I actually like the body of the streamer better but that one is a cherry stain with gold hardware and mine is nirvana black with black hardware which I really like. To further complicate things I also saw a Spector Euro4 LX yesterday that was black...ooh boy.

6. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    Of course a Streamer (PJ) sounds more like a Spector (PJ) than does a $$ Corvette (HH). You can get a sharper tone out of the HH-MECs if you allow splitting and single-coil use. Not a big "operation". Depends on the circuitry and the pots. Use mini-toggle or pull-push-knobs for selecting your tone. I did and received a variety of tones.

7. The $$ ash is kind of dark sounding vs the other warwick bass. It has passive humbucker vs streamer and corvette with singles that are active. I have a $$ nt with bubinga body and maple neck that is more bright and aggressive. It doesn't sound like a stingray for sure.

8. VoxRox

VoxRox Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2018
    I just traded my Corvette for a Streamer LX Jazzman and it sounds just like I wanted. It has a neck jazz on an angle and a humbucker. Very present and deep and growly at the same time. Very happy with it.