Warwick givin' me troubles. . .

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The1ManMoshPit, Jan 3, 2001.

1. The1ManMoshPit

Jan 2, 2001
    I have a question regarding my active Warwick FNA 4 string (or maybe it's passive with an inbound preamp or some such. . ., at any rate it has a lot of knobs). A little while ago I noticed that I was having a problem with the bass distorting, especially in the low end, so I replaced the battery as usual. But that didn't help. After a mighty bout of lowering the pickup and pulling my hair out over the problem, as there seemed to be no problem I could easily discern with the electronics (It was distorting no matter what volume or bass level I had it set to), I noticed that I was also having a problem with my input. It took setting the patch cord 'just right' into the input to get the bass to actually make a sound, and when it was moved in any way a loud, heart-rending sound was heard.

So, I got disgruntled again and again. Finally I opened the cavity up and took a look inside. When I jostled the patch cord, the input was actually wiggling around inside the cavity, so I tightened the bolt holding it in (I would have done this earlier but, I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Warwick's Electronics configurations, but everything is concealed in the contours of the basses curves, so the bolt for the input was moved to the inside of the cavity), and that managed to quell the distortion. My current theory is that when the input was wiggling, it was stressing and moving wires, possibly causing some kind of damage. But now, even though the distortion is gone, the patch cord still makes noises and stops sending signal from the bass if pushed in a certain direction, and I don't know how long the distortion will stay gone, as I managed to stop it before when I first lowered the pickup, but it was only temporary.

Any advice you have would be appreciated, and I am currently seriously considering bringing it in to have it worked on, but I'm not sure yet if that's necessary.
  2. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Hrmm. I don't really know what to say. . .
    You seem to have approached it pretty well. Do you use the same cord for that bass all the time? I once had a problem with a cord going haywire, and didn't realize what was going on until I used a different cord. That's about it, I guess.
  3. i have also had the same problems with a bad chord. i would try that first, if it is the jack thats not to much of a big deal usualy. i have had about 4 jacks put in one of my basses. darn cheap jacks. if its a new bass maybe bring it to the place you bought it so they can replace the jack.
    good luck
  4. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Sounds like the jack is the problem since you were able to cause the problem by moving the cable. I assume you have tried more than one cable with the same results. Often the contact area of the jack will oxidize making for a poor connection. This leads to distortion or, worse, no sound at all. I think you have two solutions at hand. First, you can try to clean the inside of your jack by glueing some emory cloth around a pencil. Insert the pencil into the jack and gently polish the contact area. A similar ready-made device is available at most service-oriented shops. Secondly, you can replace the jack.
  5. The1ManMoshPit

Jan 2, 2001
    Bah! right as I posted this message somebody else replied. . .

[original message]
    Thanks to you two who did reply. It's not the patch cord (one of the first things I checked, actually), but I have had the bass for a few years with no problems, so I really can't complain too much, and anyways I've been playing the Warwick nonstop since I posted that message and haven't had another problem, so I seem to be fine for the distortion. If the problem with the patch cord continues, I'll just break down and get the damned part replaced, but it seems that my remedy worked...so all is well.

Thanks dwynsen. If the problem keeps up, I'll try your suggestion. And if that doesn't work (sigh...), I'll break down and replace the part. . .

[Edited by The1ManMoshPit on 01-04-2001 at 09:35 PM]
  6. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    It occured to me after I posted that there is another, easier solution. Actually, you've probably already done it! Sometimes you can rid the jack of oxidation by simply inserting and re-inserting the cable into the jack repeatedly. Spinning the cable in the jack also helps remove oxidation. The fact that you have messed with the jack so much may have solved your problem!!