warwick good for slap, tapping, and all skills?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coleman, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    1)i hope to buy warwick bass(thumb bolt on)
    and it great for play the skill's bass?
    (include slap and tapping)

2)i heard someone say it sound too "wood"
    it able to play a rock style music and all style?

3)what warwick bass u are suggest for me use it
    (i play all skill's ...)

4)what bass do u suggest for me to play?
    (except warwick)

p.s. this is my own life bass if i buy it!!!
  2. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    Hey Coleman,

I have a Warwick Streamer Standard and it is perfect for all type of music.

Here are my answers to your question...

1.) Since you're getting a Thumb, I'm not sure whether the sounds is going to be the same but my Streamer has a very nice slap tone. It is also quite easy to tap on. The only downfall is that my Streamer's pickups are a little quiet.

2.) I like the "sound of wood". It has a very nice tone, looks good and it feels like playing a bass that was made for you. Most Warwicks have thick necks and I like that. It's all about preference though. But, overall, very nice sound.

3.) I personally like the Streamer. But if you are going to get one, get a higher level one than a Standard. Get what sounds and feels good to you.

4.) Once again, only you can tell yourself which bass is right for you.

Hope this helps.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Personally, I like the Jazzman. I love the slap sound on that bass (because of the wood, it's similar to that of a thumb bass, so if you like the thumb, go for it).

If you want to hear just how good and unique Warwicks can sound when slapped, just check out anything Stuart Zender recorded when playing for Jamiroquai. Very unique tone and, imho, it sounds great.
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yes. Warwicks are used in rock, along with many different styles including jazz, funk, R&B, and beyond.

The Thumb Bolt-On will serve you well. If you have the chance, try out a Warwick Corvette. I own one and use it for all of the above mentioned styles.

Good luck in your search.
  5. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    warwicks are great basses, very very good for slap. I myself have a custom warwick 5 string and i beat that thang very much. There sound is awesome, u just got to try one
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i use my warwicks from everything from tappin and slappin and doing bad victor wooten impressions, to old school big band stuff.

they're quite versatile, but i've spent a lot of time getting it so i can drastically change my tone just with my hands. the bass just facilitates that very well.
  7. I love my Warwicks for their versatility and comfort. They seem to be able to handle anything and everything I can dish out.