1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick growl out of an Ibanez SR 900?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by viking67, Jul 18, 2007.

1. viking67

viking67

Sep 14, 2005
    Langley, Canada
    I have a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 and I love the tone and growl I get out of the thing. Colourful and rich, but the growl is what always makes me smile. It cuts through and adds both edge and distinction to my sound.

Unfortunetly for my metalcore band I find the Jazzman's neck too thick to play as quickly as I need to, and combined with physical size and weight, 16mm string spacing, and not wanting to beat and break this $2150 beauty I want to get a new 4string axe.

With extensive research I've come to the Ibanez SR900, SR500, and SRX700.

SR900- Maple/Bubinga neck-thru
    SR500- Wenge/Bubinga BO, and 30% cheaper
    SRX700- common high-output metal bass

I've been told that a lot of the Warwick growl comes from the Wenge fretboard, and some from the Bubinga neck, and while I've tried the 900 and found no similarity Ive not been able to try the 500 yet to see if the Wenge/Bubinga neck would have some grit to it.

So basically, even with the growl i get out of my GK 2001RB i still want to have a similar sound to my Jazzman, but with a lighter body and more metal-friendly set-up, but a little warmer so im hesitant on the SRX700.

Any suggestions?

I've heard to try a Sansamp so Im looking at the RBI and Bass Driver DI to try to gain that growl but I don't think they'd do it.

Anyway, thanks for your help

Ross

2. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Get this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Model-Sr-1500-Sdgr-4-String-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ160138783995QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38080QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ibanez SR1500 (1992) - Bubinga or Padauk body, Bubinga/Wenge neck w/Ebony board, stock EMG PJ pickups. About as close as you'll get to a Warwick Thumb Bolt-On on a budget. And SR1300 (circa 1995) would also work for you (I had an SR1305 and it was super growly).

The FNA Jazzman doesn't sound as "Warwicky" due to the bucker pickup and the ash/maple body. If you're looking for that tone, you might want to go with the SRX700. I've owned both the Jazzman 5 (baseball bat neck) and Pre-99 Warwick Thumb Bolt-On and Neck Thru 4's (with slim, all wenge necks) and they sound totally different.

3. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Since I don't own any Warwicks (YET), I can only speak about Ibanez basses: the feel of that wenge/bubinga neck is incredible - by far the fastest neck I've ever played on. However, in spite of having identical necks, the sound of Ibanez basses is really different from one model to another - and I'm speaking of SR500 & EDB550 (which I own); these have the same 5 piece wenge/bubinga neck, but they couldn't sound more different: the SR has a deep low tone with lots of harmonics and very powerful mids (almost aggressive), while the EDB has a more mellow (yet metallic) high/mid oriented tone; the SR kicks through the mix like a mule's hoof (so you don't need to worry that ppl won't hear you - EVER), but the EDB rounds your band's sound better and it blends better in the mix. I'm guessing this huge difference comes from the body wood & electronics (since everything else is identical on both models): the SR body is mahogany with Bartolini pups, while the EDB has an ash body with S.Duncan (designed) pickups. So I'd say the neck plays an important role (both in tone and performance), but the final sound of a bass is the sum of all its components, so the body and electronics are just as important too.

4. well, in my opinion, Warwick is the older, more metal brother to the metalcore/punk Ibanez, I find with Ibanez there is a great similarity in looks with the SR and SRX, but the tone is a lot cleaner.