Warwick Growl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AssMan, Feb 23, 2001.

1. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Which warwick has the most pronounced "growl" tone? Looking at the different wood combinations theoretically the corvette or the thumb (neck-through) would seem to have the best growl, because of the bubinga body but I'm not sure. Also If anyone has a used corvette that you'd like to sell, let me know. Thanx
  2. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    I own a corvette std. 5. It sounds like a bass, I really am not sure about the "growl" but it has really good punch. Don't ask me why but warwick made basses have this really cool higher note sound that I don't hear from any other bass. When I think of growl I think of "BattleStar Scralachtica" on Make Yourself cd from incubus, but I think that sound is partly achieved from the Sans Amp modulator Alex uses.......
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmm...growl? i dunno...i have a neck through thumb 4 string, and ,though it has a pretty unique tone, i don't think i'd call it a growl. i think that is just a marketing tool. sounds great though. :D
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    prolly has a lot to do with the bell brass fret material...i have a newer warwick without the brass nut and i notice a different tone from fretted notes than the open ones...like any other bass, but it seems more pronounced...
  5. growl, i think thats one of those power words.

i have a thumb 4 and i guess it has more "growl" than my jazz bass, but much less than my pedulla buzz.
  6. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I am the fortunate owner of 2 Warwick 5 strings,a gorgeous Honey Violin FNA and a yummy Thumb Bolt On.Warwicks to me are one of those things that it's hard to be neutral about,and I see that as an asset.
  7. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm talking the lo-mid growl that cuts through like a knife. Like in the songs "SouthTown" and "Hollywood" by P.O.D.. You see I play in a power trio and need to cover more frequency ground than I am. Right now I have an ibanez that's real percussive and clicky kinda like a warwick (due to the piece of aluminum I attached to the of fretboard where my strings had worn grooves), but it doesn't have that Lo-Mid growl that you can't miss.
  8. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000

I have had a Corvette 4-string, and found it lacking in the growl department, the pickups weren't that dynamic either. Sold it.
    It had an ash body, and wengé neck...so I think that the sound you're looking for is mainly a setup-question. (look for a bass and amp, possibly some kind of effect pedal that accentuate eachother in a good way.)
    I have a Status bass, (cheap one) and on my Ampeg B100r it's very transparant, deep sounding, while on a combo with 10 inch speakers, it's very fast and in your face.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Funny, the guitar player in one of my bands also plays some bass, and he owns a Warwick Corvette std. 4 (bubinga/wenge). I have played it a number of times and it growls like, nobody's business. :) I like that bass a lot, too bad it isn't mine...

Another case of "it's all in the hands of the player"? ;)
  10. actually, Niels said his had an ash body which was probobally the reason because your friend had bubinga which is much denser.
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Ah, yes. My bad. Sorry.
  12. I've played the following fretted Warwicks:

Corvette (bubinga)
    FNA JazzMan
    Streamer Pro M
    [All of these in both 4- and 5-string versions, where applicable]

Anyhow, the Corvette wins the growl contest hands-down. I have never heard more low midrange from a bass in my life. Running it through an Eden rig (WT-300 + D-410XLT) was an epiphany. Even with the bridge pickup soloed, it had an incredible amount of bass and low midrange, with just enough high-mid and treble articulation to eat through any mix. I'd buy a 5-string or 6-string one in a heartbeat when I got the money, but the string spacing is way too tight for slapping. (My tendinitis went away -- :) )

The FNA and JazzMan have a good slap sound, but not nearly enough midrange for fingerstyle. The Fortress is worthless, IMO--the flame maple body and Jazz pickup combo produce a bass that sounds pretty on its own, but doesn't have any of the necessary midrange definition to get through. The ProM is much the same way, although it has a bit more high-mid grind and might be good with a pick.

I'd like to try a Thumb someday, but my left wrist would probably scream and yelp in pain--and I wear my bass right under my chin...
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a Corvette (active pickups), bubinga body, wenge neck - and this bass definitely growls. I think a lot of the growl also has to do with the way it's played, I really dig in. If I'm playing lightly I'm not too sure there's any growl. I also think the wenge neck has something to with it. The new bass necks aren't made entirely of wenge and I'm sure this affects the sound somehow.
  14. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I am the sole distributor of Warwick in Indonesia. I have imported and tried almost all of Warwick basses except Infinity{ delivery 5 months }.

Thumb Bolt on 4 has the most growl above all model and strings. It has ovankol body and wenge neck/wenge fretboard. It also has the most punch among all of them [ this is unbelieveable].

The punch , growl and overtone is more than Dolphin Pro1, Thumb Bass, Jazz man . Of course Jazz man gives more flexibility.

The punch is more than my Sadowsky.

I think 2 way electronic system contribute to the clearness and punch of the tone , simpler , cheaper too {tweak the mid range of yr amp if you need it}.

Perhaps the amps I use contribute to the sound { Iam using either Eden WT400/Acme Low B 2 or SWR Super Red head}.
  15. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    IMHO the Thumb's the one.To me this model best represents what Warwick has to offer in terms of uniqueness and "personality." Not for everyone but I like it.
  16. I am the very proud owner of a 1997 Thumb 5 Neck-Through, and let me tell you, there is some serious GROWL to this thing... But the fact is, Pretty much every Warwick i've ever played has had that GROWL to some extent. It's a function of the Woods they use *mostly*... The Wenge necks/fingerboard very much add to the growl, with the body wood giving each different Warwick model it's own sound, as well as the neck-through/bolt-on difference. The *most* growl i've ever heard is on a Dolphin Pro... but those things ARENT cheap (I got a steal on my bass used, otherwise i'd have a bolt-on right now)... Overall I prefer the tone of the Thumb, but the Streamers are very popular for their tone, which isn't TOO far removed. I don't know if that helps any but I thought I should comment,

BTW, i've had this thing for almost 2 years now and I still look at it in awe...
  17. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
  18. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Thanks to the people who answered my Q. I was thinking the corvette because of the dence bubinga body and bolt-on construction and just wanted another angle on the issue.
  19. You say you play an ibanez, huh? well, if its active, you need not look any further than too turn the boost up and the tone down. When I play things like sublime and 311, I turn the boost up all the way and turn the tone down. I then turn up my p-pickup volume all the way up and turn the j-pickup up just a little just for fullness and phatness so as to get that bass line sound Im looking for. I can't fully understand what you are looking for but I think this is what you wanted. It may also be the amp you play through. As for the warwick that you are looking for, Ive only played a few and havent been playing long enough to truly tell a difference.
    E-mail me if you want (fourstringer73@hotmail.com)