Warwick growl...?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Can anyone tell me whether that typical warwick growl comes from the MEC pickups or is it from the body of the bass...

I'm specifically asking because I play a Warwick thumb NT and I want to know if I replace my stock pickups with, say a set of Basslines and the accompanying electronics, am I going to drastically change my tone?

Is this even worth doing?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Take your bass to a silent room.
    Do not plug it in.
    You hear?

Most of the tone comes from the body and construction and etc.
    The p-ups are important, too, though.
    Some tried Barts with Thumbs, and were not really satisfied (do a search for that) - for example DavidMWilson tried barts, then replaced them with EMGs
  3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I would have to agree with frank, the wood, construction have a major role in the way warwicks sound. I have played custom basses that were constructed using the same tone woods that Warwick uses and percieved a similar Warwick sound. Don't get me wrong, pick ups are a factor too, but they do not dictate that natural sound of a bass.
  4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    It's all a factor, but one thing that is very much responsible for the growly tone on the Warwick Thumb basses is the pickup position.

That angled pickup near the bridge thing makes for a large part of the sound, IMHO. I played a Sadowsky with a similar pickup position, and it growled VERY nicely.
  5. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I believe it is largely the wood and construction. i changed pickups on a corvette and not much change in tone. "better" pickups (bill lawrence) didnt sound as Warwick-like in it. MEC and EMG sound the best in these bases but not a major change as much as changing the string type. Try some ground wound strings and you wil have something that sounds like a Modulus with the mids scooped. My advice: leave the MECs alone