Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick "growl"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Aug 19, 2000.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    I don't understand the whole Warwick sound thing. Warwicks sound a lot like every other bass I've ever played. Whats the big difference? What the heck is "growl"? Personally I like Sadowsky's.

2. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    Check out the incubus album "Make Yourself" Dirk uses a warwick on the album. You will be able to tell what we mean by "growl"

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    I dunno, man...I have a warwick neck thru thumb 4.....sounds pretty dog gone kewl....I would have to say it growls. ;-)

4. ToNe45

ToNe45

Apr 23, 2000
    along with the incubus album (if u dont hear it by then), listen to stephan lessard of dmb and p-nut of 311 play. both play warwicks but can still get a variety of tones from it.

5. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    To me, most Warwicks have a characteristic growl (or bite, crunch, bark, snap or what-have-you) that I believe is due to their hard, dense woods (wenge, bubinga,ovankol, etc) and possibly the imbedded tailpiece design. Whether the sound is your cup of tea is another matter entirely.

That said, Warwicks' sounds vary greatly from one model to the next. Their catalog states that they offer maple and other "softer" woods for those preferring a warmer tone. They also site the Thumb Bass as the "quintessential Warwick".

The first time I tried out a Warwick bass I was blown away by its loudness, clarity and "piano" tone. I said "I've got to get one of these!" Since then, I've tried out about 30 more Warwicks and 100 other high-end basses, and have concluded that it would still be nice to have one, but no ONE bass does it all. G.A.S., or reality?

6. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    Not only does my Warwick grrrowl...
    But she has also been known to BITE.

7. Opus

Opus

May 25, 2000
    Warwick is the best thing that ever happend to me! I had a Tobias Growler5 that I paid 1000 for used up until six months ago when I first played a Thumb Bolt On 6. It took me about 30 minutes to realize the Tobias had to go. I traded it in. I actually got 1000 on the Tobias With the Warwick list dropped from 2299 to 1600. This bass has unbelieveable growl. Get one!!!

BlueAliceOasis and Zodion like this.
  8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, Opus...u obviously dig your thumb 6 bolt on...I have a neck thru 4 and it's awesome....thinkin' about tradin' it in on a bolt on 6 broadneck...whatcha think?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure what we're talking about here - I've never heard "growl" applied to a Warwick. The common currency for this term is as applied to the Fender Jazz bass sound using the bridge pickup.

10. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    check out my tunes on myspace.com

www.myspace.com/n0dusband
    the song "Nema Nebesa"
    I've used a '90 5 string thumb neck thru... I think it's actually quite "growly" :D

11. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    A more common term I hear in conjunction with Warwick
    basses is "Zingy", or "Brilliant". Lots of high frequency action
    going on in the Warick sound. I'd say it has a very open
    quality to it. I fancy the tone, but don't care much
    for the heavy woods used in the basses' construction.
    They also don't speak to me aestheticaly...
    Still, I love Stuart Zender's tone on the Jamiraquai albums!

I think Warwicks are "The Round-Wound String Basses".
    I don't think I've ever come across a Warwick strung with
    flats. Seems to go against everything they stand for ; )

12. I think its a very very aggressive and distinct low/low-mid end that leads to their growl.

Alot of it is their dense woods, but some of it is their pickup designs and other parts. My Warwick is maple and swamp ash, so it doesn't growl as much as a bubinga thumb, but its still got that warwick sound in there. You wouldn't mistake it for a P-bass, that's for sure.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Wow, I can't believe you've never heard this term associated with Warwicks! We're certainly talking a more "grunty" type of growl than in jazz basses.

14. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    I remember seeing Mudvayne live and Ryans tone live is awsome but "different".I look and hes playing a Warwick thumb.It sounded so damn good!

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Ryan's tone was really my introduction to the Warwick growl. It's just a shame I didn't like the music all that much!

16. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    Full tone pot+only brigde pickup = fooooockin growly!!

17. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    everyone, go listen to this band. www.myspace.com/karnivool
    i dont know if any of u guys know about them, but htey are an aussie bandand i went and saw them a while ago and the bassist uses a 6 string warwick and my god, it sounded incredible. i think it has to have something to do with the woods. really really good sound this guy has

18. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I've been playing bass for 30 years. I relatively recently discovered the Warwick growl. Well...I now own 4 Thumbs.

There is NOTHING that sounds like these basses. I can't believe it took me this long to find out.

19. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    i think the bridge design plays a big role in the wick growl.
    that two piece design does something to the mids that is good.
    don´t flame me, but if you take aside the wood differences, i can find a slight similarity to alembics in the way the mids sound, and they also use two-piece bridges (and yes, i have actually played an alembic).

cheers,
    lowstar

20. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Duuuuude! Thanks. That band rules. Roquefort With Horn is effin' brilliant. Cranking it right now....

:bassist: