Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danksalot, May 9, 2003.

1. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Okay, I've looked at several Warwicks, and the headstocks all have a black laminate(?) on top. Is this ebony? It looks like it has some texture (grain) but I never see any variation in color.

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Not sure but I think this is a black fiber laminate, not wood.

JP

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i don't mean to try to hijack your thread, but my warwick came with two different necks and neither has the "W" on the headstock (nor serial numbers).

BTW, my necks have a black laminate as well, even my fretboards don't look wenge, they look ebony

4. Ebony
    The tilted-back headstock is capped with a thin piece of ebony,
    which makes the mother-of-pearl Warwick logo pop.
    BP 4/97
    [​IMG]

5. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Thanks Donne, that clears everything up. Props to Warwick for using wood of such a quality that it would be mistaken for a synthetic! I have an ebony fingerboard on my upright that has slight color variation in certain places, but none of it looks this good!

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was black dyed, a common practice, including on fingerboards.

7. Probably is dyed.
    After all it is mostly an accent piece.
    A rather clever concept that gives 99% of
    Warwicks a consistent 'trademark' headstock.
    It looks great.

8. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Similar to most Gibson Les Pauls (or maybe most Gibsons?).

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    gibsons are painted, not laminated.

10. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    True. What I meant was that I think of LPs having black headstocks. All the more similar since the Warwick head looks synthetic (to me), not like wood. So, similar to Gibsons, I usually think of Warwicks and Zons with black headstocks, and Fenders with plain maple (yes, I know some are painted, but when you see a painted headstock Fender, it does look unusual, doesn't it?). Basically I was referring to the
    part of the post.