1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick help requested!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crabfunk, Feb 18, 2019.

1. crabfunk

crabfunk

Feb 22, 2017
    Gents - possible purchase here, may go have a look at this bass since it's not too far away. But I'm wary, the text on the online ad says 'Black Corvette Warwick German Pro Series Bass with a matte finish,' the lady is asking $550 (that seems low); I thought Warwick Pro Series models had three pots (volume, pickup blend, stacked bass/treble), whereas this one has four pots (like a Rockbass).
    The primary reason for potentially buying this would be to fulfill a need for a 'jazz bass on steroids'; think this would do the job? I'm also wondering if this can get close to a Thumb sound, but that might be asking too much. Thanks all!
    00Y0Y_cmXXKA8WIB2_1200x900.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Is that the picture the seller posted?

3. crabfunk

crabfunk

Feb 22, 2017
    Yep

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Is the seller a store or an individual? I know nothing about Warwicks but that looks like a professional photograph which is unlikely to be an actual image of the bass if the seller is just some guy, or lady.

5. crabfunk

crabfunk

Feb 22, 2017
    It appears to be an individual, not a store. Here's the link: Warwick Bass

6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Yep that’s a product shot. Just to state the totally obvious, I’d get them to send a pic of the actual instrument before going any further, including serial no.

eyeballkid, db59, Kubicki Fan and 7 others like this.
  7. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Truss rod cover looks like it says Rockbass. Ask for. Serial number. If it starts with RB it is a Rockbass. The truss rod cover would also say Rockbass in horizontal font with Corvette written vertical if she can take a close up of that.

Another giveaway is if it is a maple neck. Those are normally Rockbass in the Corvette line.

8. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    $900 new? Gotta be a Rockbass, right?

9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    900 Canuck bucks, which is about $6-700 here.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  10. crabfunk

crabfunk

Feb 22, 2017
    My thoughts exactly. Not to bag on Rockbasses — I love my mine since I made it passive and installed Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups — but I don't need another one.

Bass Man Dan and knumbskull like this.
  11. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    The photo looks like a rockbass to me. Maple neck.. if I remember correctly the pro series had ovangkol necks.

radmin and MattZilla like this.
  12. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    Ignore the photo, go look at it in person. Between their "price paid new" and what they're asking, I'll bet dollars to donuts it's a RockBass Corvette. Still, perfectly solid instrument and really good sounding. $550 maybe a little steep unless it's pretty pristine.

13. spvmhc

spvmhc

Apr 14, 2011
    $550 Canadian is about $414 American. Assuming it's a Rockbass good condition, that seems to be a fair price. Because technology has trickled down from the German-made Warwicks to the Rockbass line, they represent good value.

14. BigBear77

BigBear77 Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2017
    I’d get an actual picture of the product. Bass in picture is a Rockbass,

15. filwitheneff

filwitheneff

Feb 22, 2008
    SEMO
    I'll go ahead and address this question.

I used a 6-string Thumb (neck-thru) for awhile. It had a gigantic neck that just never got comfortable to me, but the tone was killer! I later bought a German Corvette 5-string, hoping to get a smaller neck and a similar tone...but the neck was still too much and the Thumb tone was not there. Today, I still have a German Corvette 4-string fretless because I actually wanted a thicker fretless neck (fretless Jazz necks just feel like pencils:D). Tone-wise, it sounds closer to a Jazz than a Thumb. Still, they are good basses!

MattZilla likes this.
  16. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    If it is the same model bass adls in the picture, it is a rockbass model

17. Morse_77

Morse_77

Nov 5, 2014
    The pic is of a Rockbass active. I have the 5 strings fretless version. If in good shape the price makes sense.

18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Looks like a nice bass but you should try for photos of the actual item if possible. My experience with corvettes is that they subs like a very nice, smooth jazz bass and dead quiet when you aren't playing. Screwed together very nicely and comfortable against the body.

The necks tend to be thick from front to back and have kind of a unique feel that you may or may not like, it would be best to try one out. I like them very much.

I wouldn't expect it to sound like a thumb, very different animal.

19. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    wuts aboots de ledeeiz?

Srsly though, I've seen perfectly serviceable German Corvettes go for $600- why on earth are any of you thinking that a rockbass (not a fender, Yamaha, Ibanez ((not a brand recommended by everyone's cool aunt)) so effectively a no-name brand) is worth $500 even in pristine condition?

Pay whatever you want, but without the bronze frets and some obnoxious non-Fender woods, that thing is worth less than ten large-pizza-and-24-wing deals.

20. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    +5 (or whatever) on it being a Rockbass if the picture is accurate.

That's a fair price for a good sounding bass if it's in good condition.