Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, this past Sunday I shelled out some cash and bought a new Thumb b/o 4 string. I am well aware of the neck dive and this hasn't been a problem due to owning a good strap.

Here's the problem....

I noticed a few dead spots on the neck, most noticeable aroud the D through G (7th - 12th fret) on the G string and am getting quite a bit of fret buzz on the open A string. I brought it to a friend of mine that has been doing setup on my basses for the past 7 years and everything is fine, intonation, etc. The next step in diagnosing this was the strings. For some reason this bass came with the Warwick red label strings :spit: and they were pretty dead so I decided to change them out. I purchased my usual, Blue Steels, and strung it up last night. For the life of me I can not get that even-thick "Warwick sound" out of this bass no matter what I do, plus the buzzing is driving me crazy. I really like this bass but am thinking of exchanging this bass, paying a little more and getting a Pedulla Rapture J2.

Any advice from the Warwick experts out there would be great

2. Pedulla Rapture is an awsume bass. My friend bought one with similiar Bartillini's to my Tobias and it blows it away with lows. I've never heard a bass that sounds that smooth. beautiful lows!!!! Warwick.....they're okay. I think more hype than quality. I don't think they compare to the Pedula in sound, but then I haven't played a lot of them. They look like a Spector copy to me. Except a whole lot lighter :spit: . That's my 2 cents. Good luck.

3. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
  4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If it has dead spots on the neck, TAKE IT BACK! That's inexcusable.

5. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Just curious : you didn't hear the buzzing when you tried it out ?
    I would say to try bringing it back and getting another one if the Warwick is what you like. The Pedulla Rapture and Warwick Thumb are two different beasts.

6. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking I'll do. Actually I might go back to an old standby, a MIA passive Jazz bass. It's a gorgeous sunburst with a tortiseshell p/g and a rosewood neck.

BTW.. I was leafing through an old Warwick catalog and came upon a picture ot TB's very own Woodchuck. You've been playing Jazz basses for a while now haven't you?

Stachio - I noticed the buzz on the A string at the store but figured it just needed to be fine tuned a bit.

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds to me that it doesn't matter much to you what bass you play as long as it's working;) if the Warwick was new and under a warranty you should comfront Warwick about this problem because this is a problem they probably don't want ppl to have, however if you are not sure you want Warwick you should consider other basses because if you're not sure you shouldn't buy anything until you are.......sure:D
    Good luck:bassist:

about the string buzz on the A string: are you sure that the string gauge isn't just to small and the string is buzzing in the nutslot, I had the same problem with the B string on my Warwick but when I changed to a bigger gauge the string was too big for the bridge.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I just got heavily into Jazz basses about 6 months ago. I love 'em, but I still have a Streamer Stage 1 5.

9. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Traitor
    :p

10. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    I was dead set on a warwick after plaing through quite a few, and then this one came along and at the right price and I jumped at it. After I bought this, a buddy of mine told me that Guitar Center was getting rid of their stock of Pedullas and had a Rapture for under 1500.00 (USD). I really like the warwick tone and felt that it was the voice I was looking for, but this has put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Good point on the A string though. I purchased a medium light set of blue steels which puts the A string at .080. I'm not sure what guage Warwick puts on from the factory.