Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick historians, come hither

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steriogenesis, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Its a left-handed streamer model. If I remember correctly, their earliest basses used EMG pickups, but anyone can put emgs in there if it didn't have them in the first place, so thats no gaurantee.

The bass looks somewhat worn, and I wonder why there's no warwick W on the headstock (the older basses might not have them, I'm not particularly sure).

If you have any questions reguarding the value of the bass, its best to play it yourself and see if you think its worth what they're buying. I wouldn't bid on anything that I didn't know was worth what they want. YMMV.

2. Im guessing its a steamer, but im no warwick guy.

3. That had a distinctly Spector-ish headstock.

4. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I would say thats not a warwick, the headstock looks spector like, only has a one-piece bridge (with no warwick branding), straight tuners (again with no branding), not an adjustable nut. Its probably a 'copy' made buy a luthier.

Still looks very nice, but its no warwick.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The original Warwicks had one piece bridges.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yep! Early Warwick Streamer with the short lived one piece bridge!

7. That is Deifitely an early streamer...notice the 5 piece neck...the first Warwicks did not have the W and the angled tuners did not come until later...hard to tell in those pics but the body wood looks a little like my Afzelia Streamer 2 which would increase the value significantly. Could also be just the way the maple looks after all these years. If you could confirm maple or what type of wood that would help. In the rear neck shot it looks like the wood could be bubinga which would also be an indicator of an EARLY Streamer. I agree about the EMG's, judging from the condition of the logo I would say that these were added later, fairly recently (within last few years) unless this bass just hasn't been played but that is not consistent with the wear on the body. Also showing that the wear patterns on the P/U's are different from the body itself........OK...My BEST GUESS.... this is an early Streamer, probably before there was a series 1 or series 2 distinction (so an original, thus more valuable) looks like a 5 piece neck with a bubinga board and the bell frets. This was probably a custom job as they did not make many leftys at the time.

If you can get the Serial number call DANA at Dana B Goodes (US Distributor and REALLY nice Guy) at 805-644-6621 (his Direct Extension or check their web site for an 800 number.

Is it worth $800? If that is the Bass you are looking for it is worth more than that. If it is what it appears to be I would say definitely yes if you are a lefty...I have a bunch of Wicks and I would probably buy if I could confirm what I think it is but I am a righty so what the heck would I do with it? I am a plyer not a collector (though my wife would argue that I am sure). So I probaly would not buy just on the basis that it would not be of any PRACTICAL value to me.......

Good Luck!

8. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

thats a streamer and its real, I was looking to get one in 1988, the line started in 1986 and was the stage 1, wow you guys know your stuff !!!

9. What do you think?

10. It's an early Streamer alright, no doubt about that. If memory serves me right, those early ones had a wenge neck with maple stringers, and wenge fingerboard, and cherry bodies.
    Is it worth $800? It would be to me (if I was left handed). I've only played a fretless one, and it was tasty.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Interesting... Looks identical to my '87 Streamer apart from the tuners not being angled, the W missing from the headstock, non-warwick heatdtock shape and the lack of a separate battery compartment. But I've not doubt that it's authentic, even the cavity cover has the same printing on it. The EMGs do look very fresh for a bass of that age but that's what they were originally fitted with. It's a wenge neck with chery stringers and cherry body.

I'd say that even if that bass was a fake (which it's not) with those woods, hardware and that flightcase it's still a bargain!

Alex

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't remember much from the earliest Warwicks, but my opinion is this bass seems to be what the first go-round of Warwicks were. The fact that the headstock is shaped like Spectors tells me that it's probably from when Warwick first started using the Spector body shape.

To my knowledge, Spector never had those wood combinations and never used a 5-piece neck.

Also, FWIW, that bridge is a Schaller roller-bridge.

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, early Warwick Streamer, that had the Spector headstock and Schaller 3D roller bridge.

Get it!

14. "buy it now" for $725. not bad at all.