Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick hunting on eBay.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrangeWillard, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Hey, everyone! I've been looking around eBay recently for a Warwick Thumb (preferably) and I've come across some with prices that I almost can't believe. I'm assuming I'm not the only skeptical person out there when looking for a bass on eBay.

Anyway, here's one I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/Warwick-Thumb-4-Bolt-Mint-with-Bag_W0QQitemZ7396841038QQcategoryZ38080QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone see any problems right off-hand that I should be going, "Whoa... I don't want to buy that Warwick for $900." To me, it looks fine. I'm just making sure I'm not getting into something I'll regeret within the near future! Also, I'd prefer a neck-thru, and I've seen those as low as $1,500. It almost seems too good to be true, ya know?

2. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well the bolt ons, like the one your looking at have an ovangkol body, not bubinga like the neck throughs. thats the only thing i see wrong, otherwise it seems like a good deal.

3. the only thing comsmetically i see missing or wrong is the truss rod cover...price wise its not a "great" price considering youll have to pay for shipping and you dont know for sure if the neck is straight to begin with...i would save up a few extra bucks and get a thumb nt ... ive had both and i definately liked the nt better...there isnt a serial number listed to get a date on the bass either..there are some questionable years with those basses as far as i remember as far as craftsmanship goes ...well thats my 2 cents thats all

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't see any problems, except I have a couple of Warwicks I need to sell and he's lowering the market.
    Go for it. I think the neck thru's are overrated. JMO

5. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    what are the major differences betwee the nt and bo tone wise. i ordered a bo, but a guy here on tb has a nt for sale at a good price. please fill me in.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Supposedly a BO reduces compression and has more attack. Neck thru more sustain.
    I had a neck go bad on me once and it wasn't BO so it wasn't worth fixing and I haven't gotten over that yet. I was young and got taken advantage of.

7. Beyond tone, there's a tremendous difference in feel for the BO vs. NT thumb IME. Which is wierd because I'm a strong advocate of there not being much difference in BO vs NT typically.
    I would have said to try before you buy. Given your circumstance you can always go to GC and check out the NT vs BO for tone and feel ....

8. Thanks, guys! I love the quick responses you get from you fine fellows. It's probably going to be another month before I drop the cash on it, I just wanted an idea, and I believe I'll go with a BO Thumb. I don't think I really even have the cash to drop on a NT anyway. Thanks for your guys' help.

9. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    more attack ehh, sounds good. the bo warwicks already sustain really well due to their high quality. thanks for the input.

10. maybe the difference with mine was the bolt on was purchased at guitar center vs. the nt was through a fellow tb'er

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    All F Basses, and at least the Dingwall Afterburners are all BO FYI.

12. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    hhhhhhmmmm.

13. I like Bubinga, but from those I've tried, I like the BO Thumbs better.

I'll probably be searching the bay a few months from now for an old BO made from bubinga.