Warwick, Ibanez or Marleaux for my new fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ipodeloc, Jul 29, 2002.

1. I am planning to add a fretless to my arsenal and I was almost decided for a Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5. But the guy of the shop where I'm going to order this new bass told me today that he can have an Ibanez Gary Willis for the same price. Does anybody have an opinion about this Ibanez?
    Moreover, I have called Marleaux, they are very cool and their Fretless Edition (pictured below) seems very good.
    I really don't know what to do : they are at almost the same price but are somewhat different.
    The Marleaux is my first choice for the moment but I have never tried a bass of this brand ...
    If someone has an opinion about which bass to choose ...
  2. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    That's insane!!! Marleaux's are $3000+ works of art. How can you get those three basses for about the same price. Either the other 2 are WAY overpriced, or you heard the price of the Marleaux incorrectly, WOW!!!!!!!!
  3. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    I don't know about the specific model you're talking about, but i honestly dislike ibanez, their necks are too thin, and they are for the most part overpriced for their quality. Further than that, all i can say is that i wish i had problems like that....
  4. Marleaux in a quick 2.
  5. I'm considering the Marleaux for the same reason I'm going to bed now: I live in France, and I can pay in Euros:D ! The Fretless Edition is listed 2340 Euros, so around 2400$. And it's not "Custom-NeckThrough-MultiLayered-...".

And 2400€ is not too much.

So, If I can afford one, I should go for it?
  6. Next reply in 7 hours, after my breakfast!:oops:
  7. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Well, then i am guessing that the other 2 are overpriced. I have not played a bass that liked better than the Marleaux that I played at Bass Alone in San Diego. I just can't afford one...
  8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yep, from what I've heard and seen it's a no contest, get the Marleaux. Looks better than the others, at least! :)
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You said ibanez,,, got me brain thinking how cool my ibanez atk would sound fretless.....
  10. Thanks guys, I think I will order the Marleaux. And the folks at Marleaux were very friendly, ready to send me a CD with sounds of their basses and trying to find a shop where they could send a bass so I can test it. Very cool ...
    They told me it should took 6-7 months to build a Fretless Edition, cause they have a lot of work (orders and preparing models for the different shows). But I can wait 6 months with my little Yamaha RBX 260f, that I bought to test my ability and interest with fretlesses.
  11. Grunge

Jun 3, 2002

you should try BTB