Warwick, Ibanez or something completely different?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexvs, Oct 19, 2000.

1. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    I have a little problem. I'm going to buy a new bass in june next year, and I'm having some problems with pickups, woods and so on.

There are two basses that I'm thinking of. It's Warwick Corvette Standard and Ibanez 840.

You can get the Corvette with either Swamp Ash or Bubinga body. The bubinga is a little more expensive. Is it much difference in tone between the woods, or is it just the color thats different.

Will active electronics make a big difference? Would it reduce hum?
    It's kinda hard to find a Warwick to try here in Sweden, so I must ask someone instead.

Warwick or Ibanez?

Help me!!

2. Active pickups aren't that big of a difference. I've heard some real nice sounding passive pickups. Also, how much money do you have in your budget for a new bass? You said in your topic the words, "something other" so how much do you have to use for a new bass and also, what type of a sound are you looking for?
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

I suggest you spend couple of hundred kronor for train ticket to nearest large city where they have music stores.
    Call em and ask if they have Warwicks or Ibanezes there to try. Corvettes aren't hard to find, pretty much any store that carries Warwicks has atleast those. Personally I would prefer Warwicks, they are german made afterall but then again I haven't really tried newest Ibanezes.
  4. rofga

Sep 17, 2000
    when i was checking out basses i played an ibanez (i think it was the 840) and some warwicks among others. i ended up with a corvette proline (not available in america apparently, but here in switzerland it is) because i liked its playability (the neck is thin but not as thin as the ibanez). my point: if at all possible you have to try the basses yourself or else possibly live with a bass that doesn't feel right to you.
  5. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    I'm going to spend appr. 10.000 swedish crowns = 1000 dollars. Or 1100. Depends on wich(?) amp I'm gonna buy. Maybe it's gonna be a Hartke 3500. Are Hartkes any good?? Or maybe i should by the new 300 watt amp...... not sure..

6. I would recommend trying some used Musicmans out, I know they are hard to find here in sweden, but well worth the effort. Regarding the Warwicks.. I have never found a Warwick that I instantly liked. Wel come to think of it I never found an Ibanez that i fell in love with either. But why lock up to those brands, try out others too, Tobias, Status, MM, Fender (good deal at Musikbörsen now a MIAmerica Jazz for only 8995SEK)..

Go to a big city and try out every single bass in every single music shop there. Good Luck... hmm did i move away from the toipc? .. sorry.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tend to agree with the advice about trying as many basses as you can and not restricting your choice.

But I really just wanted to say how nice it is that the forum seems to be getting more "European" and less US-dominated. I played with a young Swedish drummer last night (at our local Jazz Co-op) who was really good - he is over here learning English and wants to do music full-time when he gets back to Sweden. He wants to do Jazz, buy said that the entrance criterion - auditions! - will be very hard. (He did tell me his name but I'm not sure how it is spelt!)