Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burk48237, Mar 23, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I tried a used Warwick Infinity Ltd.5, today at Lowdown. First I must say, I've owned a Warwick thumb neck thru and played several Warwicks thru out my long weary life. I've always liked the tone, but could never get with the weight (see best bass to hit someone with thread) or the baseball bat neck profiles, or the string spacing, or the neck dive. #1 I must say I've never seen a bad Warwick when it comes to workmanship, so my issues are more style then actual quality or tone issues. #2 Haveing said that, this Ltd. was a hollow body so it was actually reasonable as far as weight #3 The neck was still a baseball bat, but it was set up nice, played like butter! #4 I played one of these Ltd. before and thought it sounded nice, but tonight thru a clarius and LDS 2 X 8 this thing rocked, it has an exceptional fingerstyle tone!, and played so fast I could almost pull off Teen Town on it, Woah. Slap sound was OK, But I get the feeling a frettless version of this bass would put me in Heaven and I'm a Sadowsky guy who owns a Buzz. Kudos to warwick, Are there any other TB'ers out there with the hollow body Warwick?
  2. Hello, i also feel the same way about Warwicks. i own a Dolphin but i would love to try the Infinity.
  3. i got a thumb 6 and i don't think i'll be switching antime soon. (at least not until i score enough cabbage for a drozd :cool: )

i love this thing, and the weight doesnt even bother me, maybe because i'm a pretty big guy. ;)
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Major Metal has the Infinity LTD. He should see this thread before long. I know he loves his.
  5. I'm starting to get some seroius GAS for the fretless version, 5 string.

I've neither heard nor played one but would love to do so.

Also love to hear from else in the know about these basses since the thread first went on the board.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey, there, Steve! After playing your frettless Pedulla, I must admit that the bug kind of bit me! I suppose that is a redundant statement coming from me... :p At any rate, I started paying more attention to the fretless basses up for sale here on TB, and I was really striken with fourstringdrums' Corvette Standard fretless 4-string, so I bit. The bass arrived yesterday, and to be honest the weight of this sucker is shocking! :eek: I knew bubinga was a fairly heavy wood, but dear lord that thing is a boat anchor! Lucky for me, I'm a bit on the "heavy" side myself, so the weight doesnt' bother me, just surprises me.

But, I must say I was very impressed with the quality of the materials and construction. This was alsy unexpected, especially in this price range. The hardshell case and gig bag were also of top notch quality. As for playing, the neck is certainly not what I typically go for, but it works. I knew that ahead of time, as I recalled playing several Corvettes and feeling pretty comfortable with them. The sound is quite impressive, too, though I must admit that I am wondering how much better it might sound with a set of Pete Skjold's pickups and his preamp. Has anyone ever tried swapping pickups and adding a preamp to a passive Corvette Standard?

As for the Infiniti, it's probably a good thing that I didn't play it, eh? ;) Are you going to pick it up?