Warwick Infinity-5 Limited

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EastCoast Ed, Dec 4, 2002.

1. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    Since recently visiting Bass Central, I have developed a keen interest in the Warwick Infinity-5 LTD. I would like to solicit comments from anyone who owns or has played this instrument , specifically:
    1. Quality of fit and finish
    2. Playability (finger style, slap)
    3. Tone and suitability for a variety of music, smooth jazz, funk, gospel...

I had an opportunity to try out a Thumb-4 Bolt-on and was favorably impressed with its tone and neck feel;however, the neck rotated toward the floor when released, this was somewhat disconcerting.

I currently own a Fender RB-5 which is my first 5-string and I am enjoying learning to play it. I also have a Mint condition P-Bass Gold Elite I. I am old school player somewhat proficient at finger-style but am struggling with slap.

Your thoughtful responses will be helpful in my formulating a decision and will be much appreciated.
  2. i have played one at elderly before. it is by far the best instrument warwick has ever made.

the finish is the most attractive and professional i have seen on a warwick.

the playability is superb. just as goob, if not better, than my thumb bass. but i have not had the chance to play it with a strap, so i dont know if it has that bad of a neck dive.

you can get any tone out of these babies. the preamp is the best in a warwick also. and the 2 f holes allow great natural sound and acoustic sound too. you can get great, deep lows out of it, thumb-like mid growl and great pluck sound.

in myopinion, it is the best bass i have played, i would like to own one sometime.
  3. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    Your impressions of the Infinity-5 were insightful and useful as I frame my decision to acquire this instrument or not. Thanks.
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've had one for quite a while now, but it's a prototype, the first sent to the US supposedly...so the electronics are a little different, but as far as all the other factors you mentioned:

1. Quality of fit and finish
    imagine the best you can think of. Then multiply it by 10. that's the Infinity
    2. Playability (finger style, slap)
    ergonomics and playability are superb, in my opinion. Some have found the stretch to first position is a little long, but I don't have any problems there...and you played one, yah? How did you like the balance/weight/playability?
    3. Tone and suitability for a variety of music, smooth jazz, funk, gospel...
    it's one of the most flexible basses I own, tonally. The mid EQ is the most musical of any I've played. Very useful. I don't notice a lot of difference with the semi-hollow factor, except that at a nice volume level you can feel the top resonate, which I think is really cool.

Warwicks elicit strong feelings amongst bass players. They have a singular tone and feel. The neck on the Infinity is not thin, in fact most Warwick necks are chunky/fat/round. I like that. Lots of people don't. I think you should definitely test drive the Infinity before committing. One TB'er sold his because he found it too heavy.

Hope that's of some use to ya... let me know if I missed anything.

here's an audio sample of mine:
    Infinity 5 track

Oh, and I do hope my lucubrations offer some assistance in your quandry.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'm still impressed by the build and quality of the bass after playing it. I don't like the Warwick sound, but playing it was fantastic. The bird's eye maple top on the one I played was gorgeous. If you dig the tone, I can't think of a nicer bass. Well, not that many. Maybe two or three. But it's up there. :)
  6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I've always seen the Infinity as a beautiful bass. What's the street $$ on these?
  7. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    XUSH- Great commentary. I would certainly love to test drive one based upon your description alone. Unfortunately the nearest (largest) music stores near me are Chuck Levins in Wheaton, MD and GC in Rockville,MD and I haven't seen one in either.

I guess the only reservations I have at this point is Cost and perhaps cramped fingering ,i.e. since purchasing my RB-5 back in March 2002, I've begun to enjoy the wide asymetrical neck and comparatively wide string spacing; The Infinity-5's neck doesen't appear quite that wide. This is may only be imaginative and under actual playing conditions I may like the neck on the Infinity more. Again, thanks for your reply.
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Re: the neck, it is not quite as wide as some 5's. We had been using a Carvin BB75 in the studio previously, it has a wider/asymmetrical neck. But the Warwick bridge is adjustable, I was able to approximate the wider spacing I was used to, and though it's not exactly as wide, it's close enough.

Not to cause you any GAS or anything...
    They do pop up on the used market every now and then. I don't think I'd want to pay retail, they are pretty steep!
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    xush, was that clip played with a pick or fingerstyle?

Sounds good, either way. :)
  10. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I were pingerflucking.

thanks! I wish we'd finish that one. We're OK at starts, but we kind of stink at finishing. I drummed my little heart out on that one though!
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Great clip Mark!!! Is that Chad on drums? Thanks for letting me play around a little while today!
    Eastcoast Ed---I had the opportunity to spend an evening recording with Xush using his Infinity 5. That is a first-class bass! Then again, pretty much all of his stuff is, but that Infinity really did impress me. The neck dive didn't seem quite as bad as most Warwicks I've played, but it was pretty evident. A good strap should resolve most of it. The bass felt great, and the tone was absolutely killer! I think it has the Duncan electronics, though. Am I right Mark? Or perhaps they are MEC, but with exposed poles on the humbucker, rather than a double-J. When I used it I only needed it as a four string, but the tone was just too killer to pass up using it! Absolutely massive, but very versatile. I could easily see it as a bass capable of the best tones for everything from hard rock to jazz. Play a few, and judge the neck and spacing for yourself. If you dig it, hit the used market.
  12. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yo Adron, dat's me banging the skins...

Those are MEC's on my Infinity, it was an early proto. Sound good to me.
  13. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    Your input is appreciated;finding one to tryout is my next adventure.
  14. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    ...but I was told by my order desk that it was limited, and they weren't making any more so we couldn't get one, so I decided to stick with Spector...if they're still in production, I'd say go for it! Even the regular Infinity SN sounds good, but the Thumb model sound awesome as well.