Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick is tricky!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Feb 7, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    check this out - slipped into the pricelist without a mention

nice to see them using more afzalea, but too bad that the dolphin doesn't have the j+jj pickups.

thoughts?

jason

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin SN (Set-neck)
    4 String (A-A, MEC J-J) $2,399
    5 String (A-A, MEC J-J) $2,599
    Contoured afzalea body, glued-in ovangkol neck w/wenge fingerboard, Active 2-way MEC electronics,

Infinity SN (Set-neck)
    4 String (A-A, MEC J-J) $2,499
    5 String (A-A, MEC J-J) $2,699
    Contoured zebrano body, glued-in ovangkol neck w/wenge fingerboard, Active 2-way MEC electronics,

What is This???
    Are this the specs for new models???
    Why set instead of thru???

4. That is just for the Infinity, which has a hollow body. I don't know the deal for the dolphin, though.

Geoff

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Jason, are you sure that they aren't putting the J+JJ pups in the new Dolphin?? I could have sworn that I saw a picture of it, and it had those pups in it. Of course, I could have been dreaming, too.:)

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle

7. Price, plain and simple. Personally, I think they're kida cool. The Dolphin has always been my favorite Wawick, and now it's at a price that I might be able to afford someday. If I can find a used on. And I have a lot more money than I do now.:D

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Wow, the Infinity bass price has dropped! Wait a sec... the expensive ones are the special figured maple Infinity 2000s, right?

9. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
  10. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Look close at the truss rod cover,
    it says Infinaty!??!??

11. There's a New Warwick Dolphin set neck at Bass Northwest, I am disappointed that it's not a neck through. Cutting cost maybe?

12. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I thank what they are doing is(this is a guess)Making the rockbasses for their "cheat" basses,
    Discontinue Streamer STD and Corvette STD,
    Make 2 higher quality instruments.

I thank this because, when they discontiuned the Fortress and ProM they came out with 2 new basses, Infinaty and Streamer Std.

13. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I can sell my new Dolphin 4 neckthru for less than 2 K delivered ,any time , it is too heavy for me.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    see...i knew someone would be ahead of me!

that SN dolphin looks sweet. like something i'd buy someday! (i only assumed it was JJ because that's what the specs said)

anyone have pictures of the SN Infinity? i'm assuming it's still hollowbody, and has the same dolphin style j+jj config.

perhaps one of these will be my next bass (in 5 string fretless form)

jason

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Seems to be some confusion over this - it looks to me like the new Set Neck models are just intermediates between the bolt-ons and the neck-throughs. Well they don't make bolt-on versions of either the Dolphin or Infinity actually. But if you look at the price list, the neck-throughs are still there:

http://www.danabgoods.com/warwick_pricing.html

So, now if you want a Dolphin or Infinity you have another choice! Considering that the Dolphin SN is almost $1500 less than the NT, for a set neck, afzalea v. ovangkol for the body, ovangkol v. wenge for the neck, that seems like a good deal to me.

16. I've sort of wondered why there aren't more set necked basses. Seems to work well enough for guitars.