1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Jazzman for $600: Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicRock55, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Last night my band Circular Soul opened for TSA (a Polish hard rock band) at the Taste of Polonia in Chicago. We played three songs and were well received. It was a fun show. I threw my fretless corvette into the gig bag and walked off stage to the sound booth to thank the guys and talk to an aquaintance who mixed some of our live tracks into a CD in the past. As I stood there, I was approached by an old Polish guy telling me that he has some basses and guitars for sale. I was pretty wary at first by his somewhat pushy sales tactics (I was in the middle of a conversation), but I asked what he had to sell. He said he has a new Warwick Jazzman 5 stringer for $600. I thought to myself, no ****ing way but he pulled out a picture and it was the real deal. I look it up on guitar center today and it is about 3400 US new! I am going to call him up and try it out, but part of me is still skeptical on why anyone in their right mind would sell such an expensive bass for $600.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Usually if it sounds too good to be true - it usually is...be careful man. There's some shady people out here in the city always trying to make a quick buck on some phony garbage. Just watching out for a fellow Chicagoan.

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Sounds like the beginning of a terrible horror movie like Hostel. Have fun!

4. Don't bring cash.

5. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Probably stolen, no?:rollno:

6. I agree with you guys on the vibes. His sales tactics were really aggressive, approaching me in the middle of a conversation. He also had like 7 other guitars and basses to sell. It is clear to me that he is not dumb enough to sell a Jazzman for 600. The other thing I noticed is that while it was a 5 string, the body shape was like a corvette, not the jazzman shape.

7. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    This bass is probably stolen. I was offered a car stereo and acoustic guitar in the same manner once while filling up at the station. The guy looked like a crack addict and took off the second I said no.

With craigslist, eBay and pawn shops around, why would someone try to sell 7 guitars in a crowded bar at a ridiculously low price ? Because they can't list it or pawn it.

8. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Tell him you want to check it out, leave your wallet at home and take a pistol with you just in case he decides to get crazy. Hide the 600$ somewhere just-in-case it's the real deal!

9. This was an open air festival, but same idea. The guy looked like any aging Polish dude but I still have some bad vibes. It is a great deal, but I do not ever, ever, ever want to buy something that is stolen. I might check it out, but I will make sure to bring my friend. If I go inside his house and it is filled with tons of guitars and electronic equipment and other stuff of value, I am outta there.

I'm pretty conflicted on what to do.

10. modwickman2020

modwickman2020

Mar 20, 2004
    Ohio
    Get it,sell it to me for $700.:)
    Really though,assess the situation,before you buy.This guy might just need some quick cash or is lossing his business or divorcing or some ligget stuff like that.
    For deal like that,do some detective work.I would.:cool:

11. I was thinking about that, one of my friend's dad's coworkers is selling a Les Paul Standard (usually like 2500) for 800 because he is desperate for cash. The economy sucks right now and I know there are a lot of good deals going on because people need the cash. I'll look into it.

Anyways, thanks a ton guys for the opinions. I'll keep you guys posted on what I do.

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Despite what I first posted - it's definitely worth checking out...just know it could be shady.

13. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    You did come home with *your* bass, right?

This situation sounds pretty shady, I'd ignore it.