Warwick jazzmans don't have Basslines anymore

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xtopher, Nov 7, 2002.

1. xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
    I don't know if it's common knowledge, but Warwick have stopped fitting Seymour Duncan Basslines preamps to Jazzman basses.

I bought a Jazzman mail order on the basis of info on the dealer's price list and the Warwick manual that said the bass had a Basslines preamp. One of the things that made me order the Jazzman was that it had the Seymour Duncan pre-amp. It was more highly rated than MECs by users, plus it had the slap switch.

When the bass arrived I realised that it had a MEC preamp. Rechecking the Warwick site I could see that besides the info about the Basslines preamp there was other stuff saying that the MEC preamp was standard — I had assumed that this referred to an older version of the bass.

I've emailed Warwick in Germany — they say they changed to the MEC preamp from the time of the Frankfurt Musik Messe this year.

They say they will find a way of resolving things to my satisfaction — I gather they are usually pretty good about this sort of thing.

However, I wondered how many other people on the forum knew of the change, and what people think about it.
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i knew. see this:

The Streamer "Jazzman" is armed with the new MEC BEC III-2 3-way active preamp, a perfect pairing for the pickup configuration. If you are looking for a bass that can give you a wide variety of tones in a very attractive package, then the Streamer "Jazzman" is for you.

taken from:

i have a 2000 Streamer Jazzman and it has MEC preamp. i never tried the same bass with a seymour duncan so i can't judge if it was better or not. but i have to say that the MEC preamp is really good by itself, no unwanted noise, great 3 band flexibility.
  3. xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
    Yes but,

* Pulling on the volume knob will activate the slap contour EQ curve on the Seymour Duncan Basslines preamp. This curve will
    boost the bass frequencies and the high frequencies, while slightly cutting the mid frequencies.

from the manual

and also

2 or 3-piece swamp ash body with 5 mm flamed maple cap and walnut veneer, ovangkol neck, wenge fingerboard. Basslines 3-band active electronics with "pull" slap contour circuit. MEC "large pole" passive bridge pickup w/coil switching, MEC single coil neck pickup.

from DBG Warwick pricing.
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ponder, I thought the only Warwicks that had the BassLines pre-amp were the single-pup FNAs.

But, if Warwick has new kind of MEC pre in Jazzmans nowadays, I'm quite sure it'd be one that's modeled after BassLines version. I think they did the same thing with some former B/L pups.. Woodchuck has one of the basses with new MEC pups, I think.
  5. Both of my single-pup FNA4's have basslines preamps, so no argument there. They won't be making this model for some time, since I guess they made too many, or there wasn't enough interest. The Jazzman configuration is simply Warwick's reaction to the whole J/MM trend we have seen since Lakland introduced it. If I ever got a 5 again, it'd hafta be a Jazzman or 'Ray, if not Pedulla.
  6. Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    I spoke to a bloke at dana b goods, and he said there is a substantial difference with a basslines pre-amp & a mec preamp. The bassline is more for slap, and the mec adds more highs and lows in finger style play. I got a basslines pre-amp in my jazzman (made in 2000). Just some info on telling what pre-amp you have, if you have two trim pots its a bassline (left trimpot for slap contour, right is for bass boost), if you have one, its a mec.

by the way heres my jazzman 5 hehe
  7. xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
    Stefen Manz at Warwick gave as one of the main reasons for changing that the Basslines didn't offer a passive, for which there was great demand by users.

He also said the preamp better suited the snsitivity of the MEC pickups
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have the new MEC's in my Stage 1. When you guys hear the CD, you'll be amazed at how she sounds. I recorded through the board, and with a miked Aguilar rig. also, I used an Ashdown 500 combo.