Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Just-a-nut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Mar 20, 2003.

1. I've been looking over some old posts regarding Warwicks, and a lot of people seem to be saying that the older brass just-a-nut is much better than the newer graphite one. I have the graphite nut on my Warwick, and I have two questions:

What is it that makes the brass nut so much better?

and

If it's so much better, where could I get one?

Thanks

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you don't notice it's bad, don't worry about it.

that said, i ditched the graphite nut on my ss2 because it was sharp and was bowing in the middle, yielding inconsistant lower fret feel.

if you want one, have your local warwick dealer order you one. mine cost 28 i believe...

3. I guess what I'm wondering is: If I get the brass nut, will I notice impovement in the sound of my bass? I'm not unhappy with the graphite nut, but anything to improve my instrument's tone would be great.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I doubt it very much. I replaced my fixed brass nut with a graphite just-a-nut 2 and I'm very happy with it. The tuning is more stable and the bass is easier to set up precisely. And I've noticed no degradation in tone.

Alex

5. Does the brass just-a-nut still have the sharp edges? The edges on the graphite nut occasionally dig into my left hand when I mute open strings.

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    The brass nut has a much smoother feel to it when your hand rubs against it. I think the brass looks nicer too. Some say it increases the ring and sustain of the open strings but I havn't really noticed that.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    A nut is merely for looks. The only (very, VERY small) tonal coloring it has, is when you play open strings.

8. I called Warwick about this issue a while back and you can order the Just-A-Nut directly from them too. The brass nut is functionally better in my opinion.
    Tonally,I've changed nuts on different instruments and didn't really notice a difference. But the nut is an integral part of the playibility of a bass. Your action depends heavily on how the nut is set and that the string slot are clean,smooth, and at the proper height. Graphite is a very good material for a regular nut. I would prefer brass for a Just-A-Nut just because the graphite seems a little too 'flexible'. But,if you aren't having a problem don't create one.:bassist:

9. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    My Just-a-nut II has wear form the B string not going stright into it on the tuning side. no diffrence in tone or play, for now.

10. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    my just a nut broke awhile ago. i got it replaced with a bone marrow nut. much better

11. What are the advantages of a bone nut?

12. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    its seems way more stable and reliable then the little plastic piece they put on

13. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i feel the brass just a nut is better. the new graphite just a nut 11 is prone to sinking in the middle as there are onle two adjuster screws. its no big deal util it sinks leaving the bass practically unplayable. it is posible to put somthing underneath the nut to stop it sinking. but if you can id recormend the brass just a nut