Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick katana. i love that look.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 21, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i just love the shape ofthe katana.

is it any good?

seems cool.

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I have one I got when they frist came out, they haven't sold real well because they don't look like a traditional Warwick, but now they have some endorsers.
    Mine is red and I love it, it's been my main 4 string since I got it. I have 3 Warwicks, I think I'm gonna sell the other two but the Katana stays.

3. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    is it neck thru, or bolt on?

i seriously am gassing for one in green. i always wanted a green bass.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They sell it as a bolt on or a neck thru

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Mine is Bolt on, the Neck thru's are very expensive. Yeah the green does look nice, you must be looking at their site.

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like the look of the Katana as well. It's unique. I'm curious as to how it balances relative to other Warwicks.

7. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    What other 2 warwicks do you have?

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If you set your hand in the bottom cutaway, it balances even. I'd say well.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    A Nirvana Black Corvette $$ 4, and an Infinity SN 5. It's not so much I want to sell them as I have an F Bass BN5, a Dingwall ABI 4 and I think I'm getting another Dingwall so it's starting to get crowded around here. Along w/ 6 Guitars. Those w/ the 6 amps I have and all the accessories, it looks like a music store around here.

Oh, I forgot my daughters Large Drum Set, at least it's in cases, she can't play it in her Apmt. and my Tascam mini recording studio w/ all the crap that goes w/ it.

10. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    haha. well. i have.... umm. my ibanez... and my swr/avatar half stack.

so there! :spit:

o yea, and a piece of crap olp i have locked in my closet :smug:

i seriously need to get my hands on a katana.

as far as tone, how's it sound?

11. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i also love that one. seriously. you have 2 of my dream guitars.

how much would u sell the $$ for? because i'd definitely help you get rid of it. :D

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive heard its basically Warwicks take on a jazz tone, so id imagine a jazz bass on warwick-style steroids. Very trebely and modern as well.

13. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    I thought they looked unique.

But the most treble I liked out of Warwicks is my wenge'd Corvette Proline from back in the day. Anything higher just wouldn't be very funky.

14. I'd imagine that the neck Thru's are expensive; did you see how the body is cut to slope up to the neck? Is your Bolt-on built that way? Man! If they messed that up on a neck-thru, they'd have to trash the whole thing and start over! Looks really cool, though! GAS!

15. I've been drooling over an Infinity SN ever since I first layed eyes on one... How do you like it?

-ryan-

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I like it a lot, it just haven't been palying it much after I got my F Bass. That F will spoil you. It's got a mellower tone than the Katana, maybe because of the double j's maybe because it's tone chambered. People I play both for like the Infinity better.

I don't play a Jazz, so I can't compare,but it does have Jazz style pup set up.

17. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Let me see what they are going for, if you don't see me post it PM me.

18. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I love neck-through Katanas. Definitely one of my all-time favorite body shapes. I'm thinking of maybe getting a custom one with a zebrano body, fretless ebony neck, and $$ pickups (when I can save up the 5 grand it's inevitably going to cost me).

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Sounds nice, but awfully heavy, they have large Swamp Ash bodies now and aren't light, they are well balanced. You won't have to worry about neck dive.:)

20. A few threads have popped up on the katana and voiced my dislike for it in them. But in any case, didn't see you list your location. The Guitar Center in Indy started carrying them. There's 2 in stock now. Not sure if other GC will stock as well but you can call and see if they are now....