Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick, Lakland or Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lymie, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Lymie

Lymie

Jul 25, 2000
    Holland
    Question,

I own a warwick streamer 5 string but want to upgrade. I have three basses in mind:
    a spector 5 string tjech made
    a lakland 5 string korean made
    or a new warwick FNA jazzman

I play ska and funk, so what should be my best bet? Opinions please!!

Thx

Lymie

2. marcbass

marcbass Guest

Apr 19, 2004
    Never tried a Lakland Korea bass.
    But tried the other once.

And I would go for the Warwick FNA Jazzman is it a Corvette or a Streamer FNA Jazzman you had in mind?

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Czech Spectors are as well made as any I've seen. Stuart personally inspects each and every bass sold under his name, and that includes Euro Spectors. If you like the feel and sound, you can't go wrong.

On the other end of the tone spectrum is a Lakland Skyline. They are equally well made, and also inspected by Dan Lakin's expert crew. I've played several Lakland imports and think they're everything they're cracked up to be.

I've personally never been a fan of Warwicks, but haven't tried this one in particular, so I can't offer my opinion on this.

Between the Spector and Lakland, however, they're vastly different basses. Neither will do you wrong if you choose according to the feel you prefer and sound in your head.

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I can personally recommend the Spector Euro series basses. I own a Euro-5, Euro-5LX and a Euro-4. They are awesome. I'm not sure which model of Streamer you are upgrading from so it could go either way. If you are playing a Streamer Stage I or II then the Euro is more of a step across, not really an upgrade, but if you are playing a Streamer LX or one of those then you will love the Euro's. Go with the original, Warwick stole the design from Stuart a long time ago.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    1.) From a Stage I or II, it would be a downgrade
    2.) The LX seems to be much more on par with the Czech Spector - apart from the extras the W LX offers. :p
    So if you get a Euro 5 instead of your LX 5, I dont think you'll be in a much better position.
    3.) I thought it was settled a few years ago. he bought the licence and rights to use that body.
    Would you tell someone to go ditch that Sadowsky and go get the original, like a MIM Jazz :p
    Ok, that was a bit far-fetched....

And by the way, the NS means Ned Steinberger: those basses were designed by Ned, so its not even Stuarts design. :p :smug:

Back to the question:
    I think for ska and funk the MM-style and J-p-up would work very well.
    Do a search for FNA Jazzman here on TB, and you'll find that those who got them really loved them.

6. Surely for funk you want a seriously fat sound? I would recommend the FNA jazzman, it has that huge fat humbucker, and when I played one, it was very fat sounding.

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Well we all know Nick's gonna recommend the Warwick in any situation like this :p. But MM humbuckers are pretty good for funk.

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    is not really a musicman hum, its made by mec and its a crossover between a dual jazz and musicman size magnets

9. Lymie

Lymie

Jul 25, 2000
    Holland
    i own a streamer lx 5 right now. I was somewhat concerned about a couple of stories about bad new warwicks (falling apart after a few weeks), though i never had problems with mine. I also own an old hand built warick thumb 4 fretless.
    the basses i had in mind are all in the same price range (about 1600 euros, i live in holland). They all had the mm j pickup configuration. the corvette fna and the spector felt and sounded familiar, the lakland is a whole new ballgame though (make and tonewise). At first i really wanted to stick with warwick, but later i decided to try some others also. these three really fit into my budget and needs.

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Now where have you heard that?!?
    I think you are mixing it up with a batch of cheap Rockbasses that had some problems with the tuning machines.

If I were you, I'd stick with what has already worked for you: Warwick.
    Also, they are made in Germany and they have a couple of extras - 3-band active/passive, fully adjustable bridge and adjustable nut, bell brass frets, ovangkol neck with wenge board. Remember also that it is only near €1600 because Germany is right in your neighbourhood
    As for Spectors, I dont like their EMG p-ups... the mids they make are too nasal for me, and not as growly as MECs.
    Laklands, even though they are made in Korea, are said to be very good construction-wise (compared to other Korean-made instruments)

The final decision will be made by you and your ears and hands and shoulder, though. All these are just opinions

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    J-p-ups are not always p-ups made by Fender or taken out of a Fender jazz, just J-style p-ups; so these are MM-style p-ups. I thought that was clear even to noobs...
    I've seen MM and FNA next to each other and I couldnt see any difference in the pole diameter, they looked very similar to me

12. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Actually, they we're paying royalties everytime they sold a Streamer until Spector was bought out by Kramer. During that time Kramer didn't enforce it very heavily so Warwick stopped paying. EMG stopped selling pickups to Warwick because of their obvious rip-off, so they (Warwick) created their own and mocked the EMG name by calling them MEC (I don't know what it means though).

Also, Ned Steinberger and Stuart Spector we're working together in the same wood shop that Stuart started in New York during the 70's. It was there that they came up with the 'NS' design. Here's some other information related to that I bet not to many ppl know is that Vinnie Fodera (of Fodera Basses) started out by working for Stuart Spector doing the headstock inlays. Tada!

13. Pardon me, but I also use Spectors.....if the guy was after a good rock sounding thump, I'd say spector, but he isnt, he wants funk, so the warwick is best.

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    "EMG stopped selling pickups to Warwick because of their obvious rip-off, so they (Warwick) created their own and mocked the EMG name by calling them MEC"
    Now, excuse me, but that is a bad lie. The sounds of the two are waaaay different. Why not go ahead and say that EMG, DiMarzio, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan, *insert p-up manufacturer name* ripped off Fender when they produced P and J p-ups with the same dimensions.
    Pathetic effort.

Back to the first, the Ned Spector shape.
    Yes, it is NS shape. Not SS shape, Ned only allowed Stuart to use his design. So its not Stuarts design.
    Also, Hans-Peter Wilfer agreed to pay for the licence. There was a deal, and it was all legal and fine to both of them.
    Ever wondered how much money Spector made by letting Warwick use Ned's designs?
    This was not copying, like Behringer does today. it was an agreement between the two companies.
    When Kramer bought out Spector, they let go these royalties.
    Now, if you bought a house, and paid the mortgage for years, and then the company says "Dude, we dont enforce you paying it, its not necessary" - would you keep paying if you didnt have to?

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    But you always say Warwick is the best. I've seen you say things like "my Warwick gets the best growl. Warwicks can do it all, etc."

16. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    My information is directly from PJ Rubal, the National Product Manager and Artist Relations guy at Spector. He is THE Spector guru on everything Spector. I didn't read this somewhere or put it together from various sources, or insert my own opinion. This is directly from the horse's mouth.

Where do you get your information? As always, I am sure there are 2 sides to this story. Well, maybe 3 ;)

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    How do all these come to what I've said?

That Ned Steinberger designed the bass? Commonly known. Its even on the Spector website

That Ned went on to do his own business, but let Stuart use his desing without making him pay royalties? Evident

That there was a deal between Hans-Peter Wilfer and Spector, and Warwick paid for using the body shape? We all know that. So IT WAS NOT STOLEN, AS YOU SAID - AND YOU EVEN CONTRADICTED YOURSELF LATER WHEN YOU SAID THEY PAYED ROYALTIES :p

That Kramer let W use the body shape without having to pay the royalties? Even you said it. If it was so important to them, they would've pressed the matter more. They didnt. There also was no lawsuit - like the things going on with Behringer. Warwick: payed royalties after basses, thus Spector earned money; Kramer didnt ask for the money, so they didnt pay. If you dont have to pay, why pay? Logical.

That EMG and MEC p-ups sound different? From an organ that we call 'ear'. Quite a useful organ. It tells me MECs are strong in the higher-lows and especially growly in the low-mids, then compressed in the high-mids; EMGs ae weaker in the lows, and have a mid-hi-mid hump, which gives it a nasal tone. Also, that the two sound different is common knowledge.

Your opinion is very Spector-biased. Till the points it goes against common sense - and reality.

18. What is your problem with me? I remember your little quote once 'I'd take my SUB up against your thumb anyday' ......... that's just stupidity, you know the warwick would leave the SUB behind.
    And stop bickering about all this warwick Versus Spector stuff. No-one cares, it's done, it's over, they both make awesome basses. 'nuff said.

19. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    They started paying royalties after Spector slapped them with a lawsuit.

While that's true and most of us would do the same thing, it's just bad business practice.

For the record, I love Warwicks. My biggest GAS right now is a Corvette FNA Jazzman 5-string. It's just interesting hearing about some of the history and business practices used by some of these companies.

20. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Er... he didn't say that EMG and MEC pickups had a similar sound. Reread his post.