Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick/lakland/schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steriogenesis, Jan 26, 2003.

1. First question:
    Does lakland make a left-handed 55-01?

If they do, what would you recommend for my next bass...?

-Lakland 55-01 (if left-handed) ($700)

-Schecter Stilleto Studio 5 ($700)

-Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic ($550)

If there are any other suggestions please note that I'm looking for a 5-stringed left-handed bass. (Anything under $800)

THANK YOU!

2. Dont think you can go wrong with the Lakland 55-01. not sure if they make a lefty though.

3. what about carvin 5-strings?

4. I'd steer clear of the Rockbass. Its not a bad bass, but compared to the Lakland, it doesn't stand a chance.

There's not much literature out their about Schecters...though everyone whose played one, so far, thinks they're great.

Still...I think the Lakland wins out overall.

5. you'd be hard pressed to pick three more different brands. you should really figure out what you're looking for more specifically and narrow it down a little.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    There's not much literature out their about Schecters...though everyone whose played one, so far, thinks they're great.

Hey we sell schecters at the store i work at and i do love the tone for that price range but for some reason we get alot back for repairs! Not sure if it is because we get alot of idiots in the store that dont know how to take care of them or if its really a problem! Its never anything major! Just littel things like knobs falling off and not fitting back on to soldier problems! All easly fixed but why the problems? I think it might be the fact that they r the cheap end basses we sale! We also sale higher end spectors and g&l basses.

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i agree with dancehallclasher, those three brands all produce basses that are completely different in feel and tone. I would suggest going to play them if you can.

I would also second the reccomendation for carvin. Thats what I bought. Ive played warwicks (the handmade, pre mass production ones) and schecters, and i like my carvin better. I havent however ever seen a lakland in person.

You could make a day of it on a saturday and just go to every music store within say, 30 miles of your residence, and play what they have. buy what you like the most.

edit: i forgot you were looking for lefties. better call around and see who has em in stock before going. if you must order without playing first, I would go with a carvin (again). its the only one of these four that is made in USA, and the quality shows. some people complain about their pre amps, but im content with mine as is.

8. being left-handed is the reason that i cant really know what i want....havent had the chance to play around....

luckily i have friend i can drag around and play the right-handed basses that are available in left-handed...lol

to be honest, i was leaning towards the warwick rockbass corvette classic because (if it has the sound and tone near what the real warwicks have) i am very partial towards the sound of the bass player for mudvayne. he plays a thumb. the corvette classic share the same MEC pickups.

...hate the band though.

i have been playing an ibanez sr305 and have accepted the fact that is sucks....it sounds stail and dull....uck. i play in a heavy metal band and im looking for something with a funky sound to add to it, not dull.

Ive heard that carvin didnt have the distict metallic sound im looking for that warwicks are capable of either...Just plain.

Any ideas before I go out and look?

9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    yeah i would try to find a used corvette pro-line! You could probably get one fro that price range! Try to get the older ones with the adjusters much better bass! I have had one for years and still love it!

10. I played a Corvette Standard, Lakland 55-01 and 55-02 in the same day. The 55-02 sounded the best (IMO), but out of your price range. the 55-01 came in second, with a nice growly/woody tone. The Corvette was nice, but the neck was a bit chunkier, and the tone was so, so (compaired to the Laklands). Remember these are just my observations and opinions.
    I doubt the Rockbass version of the Corvette is going to come anything close to the tone of that Thumb Ryknow (or whatever his name) uses. I think you're buying into Warwick's plans of capitalizing on younger buyers buying a bass that resembles something their hero plays.

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah i would agree with that last statment! The rock bass is there mass produced bass. If you want a corvette pro- then try to find a used one you can afford! Completly diff bass!