1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick LWA 1000 vs. Markbass LMII ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quadrogong, Mar 6, 2013.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Heard a few things about this new lightweight head from Warwick, it has a compressor on board,1000 wt with some interesting EQ features.

I've been a loyal player of my markbass Little mark II for a long while, I got one around the time GC first began stocking markbass, I have one of the first edition versions..and it has always performed perfectly, I gig in NYC a lot and need a lightweight rig.
    I've lugged it to all sorts of venues, had it on the floor, in the back of vans, carried it all over the place and really cranked it up..outdoor festivals and stuff..the thing seems to never run out of headroom, and i can always get a better than average tone using active basses, my U-bass..whatever..

she's durable,reliable has super power & great tone, low noise..no loud fans..she's been with me for a long time,
    I may get a nice,fresh new head, just because I want something new w less mileage, I'd also love an on-board compressor.
    If I could get a decent comp in my head, I would do away w my pedal-board for most gigs, and just use my Tuner/AB box.
    I would say the LMII's tone isn't the best I've used, but it's very good, and I'm so used to the tone, that I know exactly what to expect from it, I've learned to work w the tone over the years successfully.
    has anyone out there tried this new warwick head?
    i wonder if I'd like it, I havn't found it anywhere in NYC, I'm considering buying one and just taking a risk,selling it if I don't dig it..

I wonder if there is an inherent tone to Markbass amps that I find pleasing, and will I be able to work w the Warwick?

Also Considering one of the other, newer Markbass heads that has compression built in..I might wind up going that way.
    I've found that if I take a risk, and try new things, it can really payoff..

I'm tired of using a pedalboard for so many gigs, I like to use my Boss limiter and tuner/AB box most of the time,
    I've decided to get a new head with compression onboard,
    & ditch the pedal-board for most gigs.
    Has anyone tried this Warwick yet?
    and what were your thoughts?
    any other info about this new head?

2. Paul M

Paul M

Jul 21, 2005
    My response is probably too late for you. I'm also a long time user of the LMII. I have strayed to other amps for a while (Euphonic Audio iAmp Micro, Fender Rumble 500, Fender Super Bassman 300) but I always come back to the LMII when I want light weight and a modern tone with a solid bottom end. (Fender has great bottom but not modern, EA is very clean & modern but has a weak bottom end)

"I would say the LMII's tone isn't the best I've used, but it's very good, and I'm so used to the tone, that I know exactly what to expect from it, I've learned to work w the tone over the years successfully."

You read my mind here right here ^.

Well yesterday I bought a Warwick LWA 1000. Huge sound and very clean. I brought my LMII and my favourite cab (Euphonic Audio NL210 III) and did a side-by-side comparison. The LWA has a smoother sound and it's much louder. The LMII's bottom end is loud and tight but the LWA is louder "bigger," rounder and it seems to do it without effort, if that makes any sense.

I took the LWA 1000 straight to a rehearsal and the band leader was grinning. He said it sounded just like the produced bass tone on his studio album – but live.

It's a keeper.

As for the compressors (one on both channels), I have a concern about them. The manual says that the compressor LED turns orange when the signal is being compressed but it seems to me that the orange light is actually a clipping indicator - not pleasant at all. When the compressor is engaged without the orange LED lighting up, it just sounds louder; not mildly compressed.

I sent my concerns to the Warwick Canada web site earlier today. I'll wait for a response. Until then, I prefer to leave the compressor switched off.

The LWA 1000 has a lot going for it: power, clarity, flexible EQ and two foot switchable channels. But I wouldn't buy it if I was looking for a good on-board compressor. I hope mine is just a dud and it gets replaced.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    slombovia likes this.
  3. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    +1 - LWA - smoother - much louder - "bigger," - rounder and it seems to do it without effort...
    I have yet to hear another amp that cranks like this. SWR, Eden, Markbass, G-K, Mesa (clean), Acoustic Image, Genz-Benz Shuttle or Streamliner 900, the list goes on. And the LWA 1000 is beating the others handily - not just by 3 db.

...but that said, this is my 3rd one. First two (painfully) replaced under warranty - yes THREE to get a reliable one.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I used one (LWA) as a backline together with an Ampeg 810 cab at an outdoor corp party a while back.
    It did a fine job.