1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick LWA500 vs TC Electronic BH800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AlexC, Oct 28, 2018.

1. AlexC

AlexC

Oct 28, 2018
    Okay guys so after reading the forums for years I created a login. My first post so go easy on me. I have been playing bass for over 30 years in rock bands. Until recently I was using a BG250 210 combo. I play in a 5 piece group. Singer, 2 guitars, drummer and myself. It was a great little combo but I was maxing it out constantly. Gain just under clip then volume to 3-4 o'clock. So I needed a bit more overall volume. I decided on 2 x 210 Hartke hydrive HD's. Wanted the vertical stack thing. I also picked up a Warwick LWA500 head. This is where I think I went wrong. The head is very underwhelming. It seems to clip early on the knob (12 o"clock), I then need the volume knob at almost max just to get to where I feel I was with the old combo. Tried an array of different basses (all passive). So I am going to get a new head with more room. I was thinking the BH800. So my question is how much more can I expect from the head? My local store will only bring one in if I order it for purchase. Youtube always has people playing low volume, and slapping 900 miles per hour. No useful to me. I am not looking for a bunch of brand suggestions just feedback on what to expect with the BH800 and 2x 210 stack? Thanks - fire away!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Are you positive both your Hartke cabinets are working? That setup should deliver quite a bit more output than what you had before....on paper, anyway. I don't have any first hand experience with those cabs.

3. AlexC

AlexC

Oct 28, 2018
    Yup both are working. Amp just seems to work really hard to keep up?

4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah I don't know that amp either. You have another head you can try?

5. AlexC

AlexC

Oct 28, 2018
    I tried a buddys GK800 and it was thunderous. I just don't like the sound of it. I liked the TC combo sound. Trying to get that but bigger.

6. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like you're on the right track then. MY TC BQ250-15 is a fantastic amp that holds it's own against my bigger stacks. The 800 should be killer.

Wicked G likes this.
  7. AlexC

AlexC

Oct 28, 2018
    I could always ask both guitar players to turn down but I know how that would go!

8. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Gasaholic
    I've owned the LWA 1000 and the BH800 and the BH800 was a much better sounding amp. It's what I presently use.

Wicked G likes this.
  9. AlexC

AlexC

Oct 28, 2018
    Thanks Low Class, I am dissapointed in the Warwick 500. No real growl. Just a soft quiet amp. I am gonna go with the BH800.

Low Class likes this.
  10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Sorry to that about the Wick LWA500, I was coming here to search on it. I'd been really looking at the LWA1000 for awhile but I have a Peavey Mini Mega 1000 and GK MB800, so was more wanting a different tone than more power.

I have a TC-E BH500 and use it with single 12" Eden cab, a Genz Benz NX2-212T and just past Sat with my Barefaced Big Twin-T, 2nd Gen. That little head is darn powerful with all those cabs, using one of my 5 string, passive and active basses. I also have the TC-E BG250-15" combo but my nice and light, Fender Rumble V3 100w-12" just replaced it. Hope OP finds what he needs soon. The classifieds here on TB is a great place to buy, very good used gear. peace, .e

11. AlexC

AlexC

Oct 28, 2018
    Do you like the Mini Mega 1000? The LWA500 is alright tone, just very reserved. Feels compressed even when it is not. Hard to get that bright yet bassy rock tone. I play aggressive with fingers on the bridge pick up. Just something about the TC combo for rock tones?

12. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I have an LWA1000. One thing that's a bit unusual about it is that the compressor seems to be a big part of the sound/gain structure. You need to enable the compressor and crank the level a bit to get the volume out of the amp. It's still not the loudest for the rated power, but it's definitely better when the compressor is set the right way...

ErnieD likes this.
  13. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    @AlexC, yes that Mini Mega is a very powerful amp. Many here say it stays too clean for them. But at one gig, for kicks, I turned up the Gain knob to about 2:30-3:00, volume knob back to 11:00 and it gave me a real nice tubey-grindy-OD sound. gui**** was really digging that tone. I just bought a DG B3K V2 OD pedal to try with some of these amps for the nice, glassy-highs, subtle OD tone it gives me.

The MM-1K is heavier than most micro-amps at around 10lbs. But the little, Gucci-style bag :smug: that it comes with holds the amp, my speakon cable and power cord just fine with the shoulder strap. You should check it out more on a Peavey mega-thread. BobbyBld(?) with Peavey and I believe, Mini Mega designer, posts on it some and that's helpful.
    The MM 1000 has quite a few EQ options that I'm still figuring out, also compression and some other sound effects features I don't really use much. And of course, it has all them pretty little lights you can change colors to, lol. :laugh: But it sounds very good to me clean or slightly dirty in a blues-rock-TX-blues band. I'm using it this weekend with my BF BigTwin-T in a 5 piece full-on disco/R&B band.

The BH550 was a slight impulse buy for the built in tuner and two TonePrint features, that I utilize often actually. It's a nice little amp that requires some practice to learn the EQ feature but it works great once figured out. I can keep it all flat and be happy. I use that head in a 4pc, mostly restaurant giggin, semi-acoustic band with my Eden-E series, 1x10+1x12 cabs for a nice middy tone with a custom built, Carvin J5, fretless.

Hope you find something you like. At least you're at the right place to help learn what might work for you. peace y'all, e.

14. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I don't have any experience with the Warwick, but I do own a TC BH800 and have a little over 3 years with it now. I purchased it after owning the BH250 and liking that quite a bit. Once I got the BH800 and gigged with it and also doing an A/B comparison with the BH250, I knew pretty quickly that the BH250 was not really going to get played much anymore.

The headroom makes the low notes sound more solid and sustain quite a bit longer. Using the Spectracomp and Drive Toneprint on the gig really gives me a nice tubey sound and feel almost like an RH head. So if you liked the TC BG combo I think you would really like the BH800 even more. IMHO and IME.