1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARWICK MANIACS:is it true?warwick $$ thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scuba steve, Mar 26, 2006.

1. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i've heard that warwick will be launching the $$ thumb bass this spring. is this rumer true, or is is it a lie. can anyone shed some light on this topic?

2. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I heard of the newly released Streamer $$, but not the Thumb $$.

However, it is possible.

Ted

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What do the double dollar signs designate?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Double Buck two humbuckers super close in the middle of the bass.

5. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Double Buck

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ah. Clever.

7. This kinda sux...

Ibanez launched the SRX line with 2 huge exposed polepieces humbuckers, then Yamaha followed with the RBX 374/5 line...
    Warwick came with the $$ Corvette...
    Warwick came with the Streamer $$
    Now? The Thumb will get those horrible two humbuckers?

I think this is a very commercial way to sell basses..

People say : Holy cr** , 2 massive humbuckers! Greaaaaaat!

I disagree with this marketing way...

Warwick, please use Jazz pickups...

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i never really liked the warwick $$ as much as EBMM humbuckers. Not enough midrange for my ears, lots of bottom and high end, but just not enought mids. Though they might sound different on the Thumb.

9. +1. One of the reasons why I've steered away from them. Great bass if you're after growling lows etc. MM's have a better sound spectrum IMO.

10. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    so nobody is really sure?

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Nope, I haven't read or seen anything about it. There's an LTD Thumb coming out this fall, but the only $$ I've seen are the Vette and Streamer...

12. From what I read, one is due for release around Spring this year. It's featured on the front of the Warwick/Framus calender available from Warwick's Deutsch website (www.warwick.de).

"Markneukirchen, January 2006. World premiere! We’re happy to present a calendar for the first time. Warwick basses and Framus guitars are shown in excellent photographs and prints. The twelve noble instruments taken from production and Custom Shop document the unique standard of our German guitar production – from rockbass to classy jazz-guitar.
    We’re especially proud of the $$-Thumb bass on the frontpage: This new bass will be launched officially in the springtime 2006. But here one may marvel at this new bass.

The Calendar will be available from the 20th January from every Music Shop or directly from our website www.warwick.de"

13. Interesting...I just wish that Warwick would go back to the standard recipe of the Wenge necks again. Wenge has dropped in price, so I don't think it's a cost issue.

I don't mind builders offering multiple p-up configurations, but I think when you start offering too many, you seem to loose a "character" tone. To me, Warwick's tone was dictated a lot by the wood combinations, specificly the Wenge, so it was easy to imagine what the tone would be, but now, it seems like it's hard to put a finger on their tone anymore with all these different offerings.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Wenge has dropped in price because what's available is much poorer quality and no one really wants it.

At least, that's what a few luthiers have told me.