1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick MEC Humbuckers, Which OB Preamp Do you Recommend?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by orangejulius3, Jun 20, 2014.

1. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I'm normally in the Amp Section of TalkBass, but I need some assistance with my basses.

I need to change out my onboard preamp since it is not working properly on my Corvette.
    I've isolated the problem back to the onboard preamp so it is perfect for me to try a new preamp and upgrade it to a 3 band or 4 band instead of Warwick's usual 2 band.

I've tested a couple OBP's such as the
    -Mike Pope 4 band (Loved it),
    -Aguilar OBP-3 band (Did NOT like the mid selector),
    -Audere Pro Z 3 band (Loved the treble -how it was not so hot or harsh when pushed).

I have 2 different Warwicks -
    -Thumb BO 6 string with 2 band EQ (This bass is awesome and don't care too much about changing the OnBoard Pre unless something really persuades me),
    -Corvette $$ 4 string 2 band EQ. It has the bad preamp and I'm looking for a Pre that will have a 4 band EQ and can still work with both the MEC $$ Double Humbuckers with switches (Parallel, Split, Series).

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bartolini or Nordstrand. Reason being is because those MEC pickups are HOT and you'll need the gain control. Not sure about Pope, but Aguilar and Audere do not have that feature.

I put the Bart NTMB in my Streamer. Sounds fantastic. For the limited space in a Warwick though, might look at a Nordstrand from Best Bass Gear.

3. orangejulius3

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    Mike pope OBP has the adjustable gain, and you are correct about the MEC pickups being hot.

What's the tone difference between Nordstrand and Bart?
    Do they offer a 4 band EQ?
    If I upgrade the pups later on with Aguilar or Lane Poor, will these still be compatible?

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I have a Bartolini NTMB and love it but if you have heard and love the Mike Pope 4 band it stands to reason to get that

5. orangejulius3

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    After doing some research and testing on OB Preamps, Ive decided to get the Audere Pro Z. The versatility, Z switch, tone and 4 bands of EQ is what sold me.

I was able to test:
    Aguilar OBP-3
    Mike Pope flex core 4 band
    Audere JZ3
    Bartolini NTMB-GF

All of these preamps are very exceptional, but the Audere pro z is what really captured my preference. It almost feels tailored for ME!

Thanks for the comments and I will do a small overview after installation!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    LoveThatBass likes this.