Warwick MEC Pickup Swap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jefus, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Jefus

Jefus Does this amp make my bass sound fat? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Sacramento
    How many folks here have swapped out the MEC pickups on their Warwicks?

For context, I have a Thumb BO 5-string that has factory installed piezo pickups in the bridge. I LOVE the piezos and don't plan on disabling them. For the purpose of this discussion you can ignore that they're there.

I bought this bass because of how it sounds. I love the throaty-ness and growl that it produces, even if it is neck heavy; the tone is worth it! But I feel like those tonal qualities are the bass, not the pickups. It sounds just like that when I play it unplugged.

I keep wondering if there isn't even more sound to be opened up by changing the pickups for something else. The MECs are dark; not much high-end gets out.

Have any of you Warwick players swapped pickups? What did you switch to? How did it change the sound?

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I haven't changed the PUs in my FNA Jazzman 5-string, but its not uncommon for people to swap out pickups and preamps. The best place for this question is here where the most recent post is someone putting EMGs in their P-Nut signature Streamer:

The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Warwick has also offered models with Seymour Duncans, Nordstrand, and others instead of MEC

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021