1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick MM and J setup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steve_man, Mar 4, 2013.

1. steve_man

steve_man Supporting Member

May 15, 2002
    Does anyone have a warwick with a MM J config and have swapped out the pickups. I'd like you're opinions.

I've been looking at both Baselines MM4A's as they've been a popular matchup in warwicks for years. I've also been looking at the Delano MC 4 AL's where they have good dynamics but look like they could give some mellow tones if the situation called for it.

If you're wondering ballpark for tone I'm trying to get a modern tony kinal (return from saturn) kinda tone.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I put Delanos and an Audere preamp in my Streamer Jazzman. Here's a link to a string demo I did with this setup:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/elixir-steels-vs-eb-cobalts-my-little-review-865137/
    The clips are more concentrating on the strings, but you can at least get an idea what to expect.

In the end, I decided to go back to the stock setup. While the Delano/Audere setup sounded great, I felt I lost a little bit of that Warwick sound and it just wasn't worth it for me. I moved that setup to another bass that really benefitted from them.

3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Thank you so much. All I could find were super jazz basses. If you backed off on the volume of the preamp did you find you could some mellow tones?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    No, backing off the volume didn't really change the tone since it's an active preamp. Strings would make a huge difference though, both of those sets are very bright sounding strings.

5. dave2

dave2

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    The Delano J and Delano MM pickups with the Delano Sonar 3-band preamp in my fretless Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 string sound fantastic!

6. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    What's the comparison of the delanos to a bass lines smb4a?