Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Feb 23, 2004.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    hello all

So FINALLY im in the market to get a new bass. This comming weekend ill be picking up an almost new warwick thumb from Paul in Chi-tizzy. I wondered what you guys have done to your warwicks, or thumbs in specific. Ive played a few and i heard they growl, but im wondering if theres sum kind of pickup i can change them to which will either give me more of a musicman tone or p pickup tone. The fact is i think jazz pickups are the evilest thing ever. Also i know alot of you complain about how neck heavy the thumb is. Ive heard mention of people putting the strap button sumwhere else. Does anyone have pics of them doing this mod to their thumb? Any other cools mod ideas would be appreciated.

PS the Stuart Zender baby blanket mod is still in the back of my mind

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you want a stingray or p bass tone, why not get a stingray or p bass?

3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Well, I've never actually played a warwick with a strap on, but I do know that the neck on the thumb is quite thick. If you want it to sound like a musicman or a p-bass, it would probably be a better idea to buy one of those. However if the warwick is what you're stuck on, then you could always replace one of the jazz pickups with a mm humbucker or an EMG. For a P-bass pickup, you would probably have to add little pieces of wood or putty around the pickup which might not go well with the bubinga. Do what you want.

4. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    i had a custom thumb, fitted with a pair of status soapbars and eq. also had a gloss finish.... all in all it didnt sound much like a thumb, it was a lot brighter sounding... with more attack.

the extra weight of the 2 extra batterys and the new pickups and eq, also helped with the balance.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Your bass looks like some kinda Spector..... really cool color, I like it!!

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    wow that thumb makes me want to get my painted... anyway the question i was asking about was do any pickup companies make different pickups that fit in different spaces. Like ive seen EMG pickups that looked like soapbars but were really a PJ setup. Some guitar pickups are humbuckers that fit into single coil spaces. I already have a musicman stingray, a spector with PJ setup and an electra with 2 p pickups. I didnt get the warwick with the sound in mind. I like the way it plays and feels and thats whats most important to me. I can always change the way it sounds to a point.

7. Fender73

Fender73

Nov 24, 2003
    UK
    Hi All,

I gig a Streamer 5 Warwick and it's a great bass - nicely balanced and comfortable to use. The weight is not really an issue as i also have a Jaydee which weighs a fair bit and used to play a 6 string Washburn.

It was passive when i got it and it's going in the shop this week to be made active. LEDS and chroming may also be on the cards (a la Sam Rivers!!)

Cheers

Graeme

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Me neither, I usually use my fingers.

:D

Sorry BMPF, I just could not resist.

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im really lookin for someone who has a picture of how they have changed the strap button placement on their thumb. I run around alot on stage and i dont want to keep having to grab the neck. Is it even this bad? Ive never played one strapped on just sitting down and i didnt think it was that big a deal.

10. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I've always found that if you make sure that your strap is short enuff, the concave back of the thumb and streamer models fits around your ribcage, and this solves the neck dive problem.

11. I personally believe this so-called "neck dive" problem has been greatly overstated. Like any heavy bass, you need a good, properly adjusted strap. I don't have any more trouble with my Warwick Fortress Flashback 5 than I have with my Precision or my Yamaha RBX760.

12. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Once you play a Thumb, it's unlikely that you'll need it to sound like everything else.. :) :)

13. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Ha Ha Ha