Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick names and pickup configurations...I do not get it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by King David, Mar 4, 2005.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I have seen 2 different thumbs, 3 or more different streamers and some other models. If you are talking about a Warwick how do you tell what type it is? For example there is a thumb with the jazz pickups close togehter close to the bridge, and there is the one with the more traditional jazz placement (roughly one is angled and I don't know about the actual measurements).

Most makers have say a jazz, precision, or whatever and then note if something is different precision special deulxe or whatever.

I don't get it, can anyone explain?

2. The Thumb with the more traditional pickup-placing is the 4-string. The ones with jazz pickups closer to the bridge are the 5- and 6-string models.

And BTW, there are two Thumb models, the NT (neck-through) and the BO (bolt-on). The 5- and 6-string BO models come with the option of a Broad-neck (BN) model.

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yeah, much as I love Warwicks, I never did understand the pickup placement changes between number of strings. KD, the Owl is right in that the only differences in the Thumb case are between string configurations.

It seems that all of their basses have a different pup config for 4 than they do for 5 and 6 strings. Weird.

The Thumb BO 4 and the Thumb NT 4 will be roughly the same bass, but with different construction obviously. (there is also a slight shape diff between BO and NT Thumb bodies)

Where it really gets confusing is likely in the Corvette and Streamer styles. Lots of variations there, some based on the pups alone.

Standard = two J pups
    FNA = one MM style on a Corvette body
    Jazzman = one J, one MM on a Streamer
    FNA Jazzman = Jazzman setup on Corvette
    $$ (Double Buck) = 2x MM on a Corvette

That should cover most of it =0)

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Just go to the Warwick Website. All is explained with pic's.

5. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA

6. streamer lx's

p and j pups

7. - I hope. I had , for a short time, both a wide-neck & a standard bolt-on Thumb 5. The wide-neck had Basslines soapbars(fatter & neccesarily farther from the bridge), the standard had MEC J's, but what was interesting to me was that the bodies were quite different. The wide one was larger- wider & longer IIRC. I wonder if they use a standard 6 string body for those.

8. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    i was at GC once playing on some thumbs and asked the bass dude there why there was a difference between the 4 config and the 5+6. he said that there was the 4 string model, then they made the 5 but in order to get the same sound they moved the pickups

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I've had GAS for a Corvette, FNA Jazzman lately... But I think its just 'cuz I could afford it.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Jens Ritter also builds basses with different p-up angles. I'm sure there are more.

11. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Yeah, I have GAS for a FNA Jazzman too. I have a Lakland 55-02. I like it, but it is not near as aggressive as I would like at times.

12. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Maybe, but that can change the entire "flavor" of a given bass. That kinda sucks if you're wanting the same bass with a fifth string...

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Note: quote in cgw's post above wasn't by me, it was by ZBass replying to me =0)

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Stupid off-topic question: does anyone know what the "FNA" in "Corvette FNA" stands for? I read it's something dirty, but I can't figure out what it is.