Warwick neck profile

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Jul 13, 2004.

1. I had this question sat on Luthiers corner without much success so I thought I'd throw it on here!

Maybe this is a bit of an odd question but, I had a bolt on Warwick Dolphin a few years ago and it had a real nice slim neck, it was the same width of the nut as all other Warwick 4's (38mm) but it had a much slimmer profile around the back and was maple with a hardwood fretboard (rosewood I think?) much better IMHO than a lot of the Warwicks I see around today. Is it possible to reprofile a Warick neck down to a nice slim shape, maybe similar to a Fender Jazz? combined with the 38mm nut width, that would suit my hands much better than a Standard Warwick neck. Also, if it is possible, would it work on the neck thru and set neck models and how far could you go before strength and playability is comprimised.
    By the way, it's not something I'm thinking of doing myself!

2. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?
  3. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    A maple neck Dolphin sounds like a custom. Though the different neck wood is only a minor customization, so I dont think it would run you too much... but you can never know...
    As for reprofiling, it is possible, but 1) have some qualified and experienced luthier do it
    2) if you bump into the two steel stiffness bars, you're screwed... Also, even if you dont, but are near it, there's still a chance that it will ruin your bass's neck, so do just a little bit