Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick neck-through thumb--good years?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MtnGoat, Jul 25, 2001.

1. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I've noticed a lot of people that say the pre-97 or early 90s warwick thumb neck-thrus are great and the new ones are a waste of money. Is there any truth to this or is it bullsh..? The new NT thumbs I have seen are no different in their woods and quality of construction than the older ones.
    Digs

2. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I've played a 96 warwick thumb neck through and a 2001 one. To me there both the same, who ever told you this might be smokeing wacky tabacky

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Warwick has grown a lot. When you reach a certain size, it's becoming harder to keep the wood quality on a consistently high level, the supply can't keep up with the demand and selection becomes too expensive. So the wood quality may vary stronger than it used to.
    Same thing with companies like Fender, Yamaha or Ibanez, btw.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I think this is a Bolt-On issue, not a Thumb Through.

After 1997 the Thumb BOLT-ON models featured an Ovangkol neck with a Wenge fingerboard. The '97 and earlier models had all Wenge. Mine is 1997 and has the Wenge neck. I love it but some think it's too rough or porous and not very fast. It's also much heavier wood and results in poor balance (also contributed to by the smaller body). I've gotten used to it. Some say the change to Ovangkol was in response to balance complaints, others assume it was due to the rarity of the Wenge wood itself. I'm not sure.

Also, my nut is the standard brass nut. I'm not sure exactly when, but they introduced the Adjust-A-Nut soon after mine.

I hope that helps you.

PS: What I'd really like is a Wenge broad neck 5'er.

5. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Thanks everybody for the replies. I read a review of the thumb bass on Harmony Central (not written by a reputable source I might add) who, among other people on the used sales boards don't like the new warwicks. I think there are some misinterpreted facts running around out there.

It sounds like the only thing different about the new neck-through thumbs is the ajust-a-nut vs brass.
    Digs

6. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I think this rumer is very wrong, I've played warwicks all the time. The Thumb Bolt on however seemed to change, but the warwick thumb neck through didn't seem to change. I went yesterday to a local music store to investigate this, what I found is a more beautiful bass then my own ol' 97 wariwick thumb neck through. I highly doubt that they change the quality of wood on these high end basses, maybe its just the lower end quality instruments like the bolt on I found

7. I have two Thumb NTs - a 1990 5 FL, and a 1991 4 FL. I love them - they're beautifully made, and they're a dream to play (well the 5 is neck-heavy).

I read that the quality of Warwicks took a dive after they stopped producing them in Germany (late 90s perhaps?).

Recently, I took a look at a Warwick Streamer, and really wasn't all that impressed by the general finish. I didn't get a chance to play it, who knows - it might have sounded really good, but I thought it looked ugly - it might have been the gold hardware (uggghhh!) - sort of reminded me of the "gold" option on some of the Toyotas - gold trim on a white car? gimmee a break!!!!!

- Wil

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Not having the adjust a nut feature is enough for me to buy a older one! That was a damn great idea!

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    ???

10. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I play so much funk and love the adjust a nut for that reason! I canset the action so low without it ever buzzing! I havent played one of the new ones without this feature what do they do now for this?

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    On the new nuts you can raise the entire nut using an allen wrench. You don't need to take the strings off.

12. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    That might be cool! Can you adjust each string?

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    but you cant adjust it INDIVIDUALLY, and it's not BRASS.

I (meaning me personally) would stay away from any of the newer warwicks save the NT streamers and the dolphin because of the shortage of wenge right now. look at new warwicks on ebay, most of the necks are ovangkol. i don't like how it sounds OR looks.

as for playability, i see no difference between the pre-factory and post-factory warwicks, aside from having/not having the brass nut or double adjustable truss rod or whatever...

jason