Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velkov, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    What does every one think of Warwick necks?

I go to this local store every once in a while and they always have at least 5 Warwicks - some Streamers and some Corvettes. I keep trying to make myself like them but it's not working. I'm going to get a new bass soon and those basses seam reasonably priced, they look great IMO, and sound really good too. But I find the necks funny shaped. They just don't really fit as well in my hand as Fenders do. The only basses I've ever played for longer than an hour were Fender J's and P's. So, maybe I just need to get used to it.

Any thoughts on that?

I don't want to spend money on an American Fender. So I'll probably end up getting a MIM Jazz or a Squier P-Bass Special and upgrade it. But it's nice to consider other options.

2. Hi Velkov

I too have a bit of hard time trying to comfortably play on the warwicks due to thier fatter necks.:(
    Not sure if it something you grow into or get accoustomed enough to so you are not consciously botherd by it.Too bad for me,Warwicks are really nice basses I think.

Good Luck!

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I far prefer Spector basses to Warwick - not even sure I know why I do though. Just one of those things I guess!

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    My Bolt on thumb is an older model and has a very fat neck. It replaced a Status 3000 that had a slimmer neck. One of my mates has a Dolphin II with a gorgeous maple neck.

I dont mind fat necks. If it bugs you then just try a load of basses and see what fits.

5. I'm with you, I find warwicks to be extremely uncomfortable (i know there are probabley some exceptions, I just haven't played them) To me they feel like a baseball bat chopped in half. I would love to own a warwick I love the look and the sound but I just can't get past the neck:(

6. Velkov,

I have found that over time you can get comfortable with just about any neck. As long as it's not causing you physical pain you will be able to adapt. I have gone from big fat necks to little skinny necks. After playing a bass for a while I always become convinced it's the most comfortable neck made.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm the opposite. I find fat necks extremely comfortable to play. I've been playing them ever since I started, which was 4 years ago, so I'm very used to them. I feel lost on slimmer necks.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I like the fat necks too; maybe that's what draws us to Warwick. It feels 'substantial'. Me like

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I bought my Thumb Bass based on the sound, looks and construction. The neck felt a little funny at first but after a month or two I got used to it and now nothing else feels right. I think you would get used to it too. They are great bass guitars.

10. I had a Corvette Standard 6 for a while and the neck was the reason I got rid of it. I got used to the fatness gradually, but my aggrivation with the neck dive didn't go away. They're pretty good basses, but for the $1,200 I spent, I should have just gone with my instincts and bought a Cirrus.

11. No Way, Warwicknut likes the necks on warwicks:rolleyes: :D After taking all these "you get used to the big necks and you grow to love them" post into consideration I may look seriosly into getting a warwick. You guys have any recommedation in the 1000 dollar price range. I have 5 string schecter that I love and a 62 jazz that is almost dead but i just cant get rid of so I would be looking for a 4. One other question once I "get used to" the telephone pole neck is it going to be an odd feeling going back to my other basses?

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [I keep trying to make myself like them but it's not working.

I only like the Thumb but if they don't work for you don't force it. There are plenty of other basses to choose from in the same price range.

[Any thoughts on that?

Yeah if the Fenders feel right then buy Fender. I recently tried the new 60's jazz bass and thought it was fantastic. For the price, I don't see how you could go wrong.

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    All comes down to personal taste I guess. You mention Fender J's and P's in your post. I have to Warwicks and personally the Masterman's neck is very similar to a Jazz bass. Coincidently... my Thumb's neck, being a bit chunkier, plays like a Precision.... Different strokes. Do you think it's the neck shape or material that is giving you problems??

14. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I think the Wenge they use for their necks and fingerboards is really cool. I'm sure it's the shape of the neck that I don't like. I don't know how to describe it but a J neck is more round and a Warwick feels like it's got these two bumbs on each side. I don't know how to explain it...

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm like you--I always like the way wenge felt, but I hated the neck profile of the Warwicks. I just picked up a wenge neck from Warmoth that is jazz shaped, and it feels amazing. Second only behind my rockwood, and rosewood necked Curbows. So, if you don't like the way Warmoths feel, don't get one. Period. Why have to grow into a bass? Buy one that you want to begin with. I had a 70s Spector that had a huge neck. Sounded absolutely amazing. Only problem--my hand hurt for an hour after I played. I ended up selling it. My hand hasn't hurt since, and I still get the tones I want from other basses.

16. I actually have had the opposite experience from bassmonkee--my left hand prefers thicker necks like Warwick, G&L, Music Man, etc. over anything "modern." My hand cramps up like crazy when I play my (very skinny-necked) Dean for too long; my thumb doesn't like being that close to my fingertips, I guess.

17. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    With Warwick necks it's essential that your left hand technique is correct, especially the thumb placement. I find the neck of my Corvette to be most comfortable of (most) of the basses i've owned or tried.

18. Proper left hand technique is just as essential on any other bass. Some people just don't find Warwick necks comfortable. Me included. They feel like rough cut 2X4's to me, no matter how good my left hand technique is.

19. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Maybe I'll wait, save more money and build me a Warmoth jazz with a wenge neck and some nice body wood. That way I'll even get the MM pickup that I really want.

Oh, wait, a Warmoth ends up being cheaper than any Warwick!

Hmmm, is this what you guys call GAS? :)

20. I'm going to take issue with that. A thin neck with a rounded back, such as a Jazz profile, can be grabbed like a baseball bat; V-shaped necks are even better-suited to the wrap-your-thumb grip.

A thick neck with a flat back, though, requires absolutely textbook left hand technique to get any speed at all, which is fine by me.