Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Aug 6, 2003.

1. All I can find on the web on this matter is "way too thick", "baseball bats" and the like.

I own a Streamer Stage I (4 string), and I think the neck is really thin and comfortable.

Do the 5+ string models have really thick necks? Or is my Streamer just really an exception?

I don't mean to be a smartass here, I am genuinely curious. I requested for my custom bass (to be built this summer) to have a similar neck as the Streamer Stage I. (It's a 4 string as well.) I did this because I like the slim and comfortable neck on my bass. Naturally now I am wondering wether the typical Streamer I really has a thin neck, because everyone comments on Warwicks having huge necks.

Sidenote: MM Stingray, now that is what I call a big neck. I can barely fit my hand around that thing after playing my Streamer.

What's going on here?

2. My warwick dolphin has one of the thinnest nekcs i've ever played and thats part of the reason i love it so mcuh, i don't get it how someone sould say its fat.My warwick dolphin has one of the thinnest nekcs i've ever played and thats part of the reason i love it so mcuh, i don't get it how someone sould say its fat.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is a basic confusion operating here - between people taking about the width of a neck - but saying my neck is thin - and meaning not very wide.

But the big thing about Warwick necks is that they are thick - back to front - that is , the distance between the top of the fretboard and the back of the neck is greater than a lot of other basses.

So - I have tried loads of Streamers and found them unplyable for me as they are too thick - front to back - whereas I found Yamaha TRBs very comfortable with their "wide" but flat necks - i.e not too thick!!

I love the sound of Streamers and Thumb basses - but their necks make my wrist ache after a few minutes of playing - whereas a flatter but wider neck can be very comfortable for me .

4. I was surprised to see that comment creeping up so often here on TB. I have 5 Warwicks, so I guess every one of them is an exception to the "rule". My '90 Dolphin and '90 Streamer SII both have truly wonderful necks, and the Infinity 2000LTD's neck is an absolute joy - all very thin through.

My custom white Dolphin 5-string is a bit beefier, but still, nothing even approaching being worthy of this stereotype. Even my '90 Thumb which has a flattened C profile is closer to a '70s Fender Jazz neck.

No baseball bat necks in this lot, and no confusion about narrow versus deep either.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well a few years ago I was really keen on getting a Streamer as I loved the tone that a lot of players I had heard were getting.

I went to the bass shops in London many times and tried loads of Warwick Streamers and Thumbs (dozens of them) and they were all too thick for me - really made my left wrist ache after only a few minutes of playing.

But I may have noticed something to do with technique as well? So - I have seen that people who like thick necked warwicks are not putting their left hand thumb in the middle of the back of the neck and are wrapping their hand around the neck more....?

Whereas I alway make sure that my thumb stays in the centre of the back of the neck - wno to do this on a warwick made my wrist ache - whereas, with Yamaha TRBs this doesn't happen even though they have very wide necks.

I definitely know that my current basses - pre_Gibson Tobias and Lakland 55-02 - have a much flatter neck then any Warwicks I have tried in shops - they are much thinner back to front.

The only basses I have tried that were "worse" than Warwicks for this - were Wals - incredibly clunky and heavy necks. I tried 3 or 4 in the Bass Centre in London and was very disappointed as again I had heard players getting great tone - but all the Wals I tried had unplayable necks for me using proper technique! :(

6. Nope, the neck if thin front to back top to bottom whatever you want it is.

7. My Fortress One has a thicker than average neck front to back..not as much as a thmb though I don't think (a small fraction less)... I play with my thumb in the middle and find it comfortable.. My other bass is a stingray and the fortress is a little narrower side to side, but thicker front to back.. The fortress feels better to play, but the stingray is barely behind and I love the ray much more.. Then again I have very large hands.. largest out of anyone I have ever met. It can be a disadvantage though.. as my old soundgear cramped me up easily being so thin in the neck.

Mike

8. my Streamer Jazzman 5 has a chunky neck. I love it and am totally comfortable with it. Good obsevation Bruce. Possibly doesn't apply to every one cos i have my bass positioned high up my body and keep my thumb in the centre of the neck.

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    My experience has been that there definitely are differences in Warwick neck. Both in width and thickness. I have a thumb 5 that is much thinner
    front to back than the streamer 5 I have. Both were manufactured around the same time. The streamer has much more of "baseball bat" feel. Interestingly though, the thinner necked bass has a much thicker tone.

10. No question that many Wals are pretty heavy basses overall, but the neck on my Mach II positively shames my pre-Gibson Tobias Signature despite it's asymmetry, and the weight is the same. Perhaps I was just lucky there too? Anyhow, I sure would be happy to wander into a music store and find a single Wal to try out, let alone 3 or 4. Lucky bugger, Bruce!

Although I started with the poor technique you describe, I managed to correct that many years ago to the point where my technique is likely as "correct" as your own. Still, I don't seem to have problems with the basses you mention.

11. Bruce Lindfield

No doubt there are diffences and Warwick have made thousands and thousands of basses - but all the ones I've tried in the UK have been too thick front to back for me - and that's over about 5 or 6 years of trying basses - maybe about 30-40 in all and I could have tried many others but they didn't look any diffent to the ones I did try.

So - it's no wonder that people complain - although I admit I have never even seen a Dolphin - let alone tried one - but I have been through racks and racks of Streamers in the UK, as these were the basses that appealed to me and the original post was about Streamers in particular.

12. i have a corvet 97 with a all weng neck i belive the nut is alittle bigger then a jazz bass. i think once they started useing the new wood for the necks and doing them on cnc they got fatter. every warwick with out a weng neck i havnt been able to really play. they really thick and barley rounded over and dead center the whole neck is flat. like on the back u can feel the flat spot.

my neck was wicked thin to begin with when i got it,but i decied th shave it down on the treble side alittle cause i been doing that to ever bass i have owned.if i get another warwick its going to be used, or a custom with a weng neck.

13. Bruce Lindfield

There is also another reason why people like me are keen to point this out - as it is not something you can tell from any published specs or photos.

So if I had bought a Warwick Streamer without trying it first, based on the fact that I like their sound, I could well have ended up with a bass that for me is unplayable.

So - put any one of 90% of basses produced, in my hand and I might say - well I don't necessarily like it but I could easily play a gig with it.

But all the Warwick Streamers and Thumbs I have tried - I can't play for more than a few minutes without getting pain in my left wrist that is screaming out to tell me to stop!! :(

So this is one of the main reasons that convinced me that I would never buy a bass without trying it first.

So people are not denigrating or putting down Streamers - just warning people that you should try before you buy - as they won't suit everyone!!

Like a public service announcement!! ;)

14. Now there's a point where we are in full agreement. You have to play 'em first and find the ones that suit you. The variation in Warwicks seems to cover the entire spectrum. I've been extremely lucky in that the ones I have not been able to try first (Wal, Dolphin) came from Jon at BB and both were exceptional.

FYI Bruce: Regardless of neck thickness, the stock Dolphin has tight spacing at the nut - and for that reason is definitely NOT for everyone.

Cheers

15. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    hey everyone, my name is mike, and i am new here. I started playing almost 3 years ago, and my focus (and money) go back and forth from trucks to bass...and now i am finally stuck on music and playing more than customizing my truck. So i decided to look for a forum to get the answers that i want, and found this place!

with that being said, i have a question. i am looking into warwicks, and for now a corvette standard 4 string. How thick are these necks... i have tried a thumb before, and i dont remember it being so thick i couldn't play it. Any help would be appreciated, and i look forward to posting more!!
    -Smitcat-

16. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Stingrays dont have thick necks theyre medium. My p bass's neck is 30 percent bigger.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I owned a Corvette Standard for a while; it's about the same thickness as a Thumb bass. My Conklin GT-BD7 had the thinnest neck I've ever played-wide, but incredibly thin, and my hand cramped on that far more than it did with the Warwick. Thicker necks are more suitable to some, regardless of hand size.

18. Something I found out for those that don't know, all warwick bolt on necks are the same generic neck, there is no difference between the bolton necks except if its the wide version that you can order, that being said i'm not to sure about the high end neck through models.

19. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    I have owned 3 warwicks..and currently have a fortress 1 fretless and pre sale thumb bolt on 5...definitely all the necks are not the same...and though the thumb neck is a bit "thicker" than the fortress ...it is VERY playable , and I could only guess that "baseball bat" type of opinion would be formed after playing very THIN neck basses(like ...I don't know...ibanezes?)...over the years , basses I have played make the warwicks I have seem like toothpicks in comparrison...

20. just a comment on that. warwicks in the Late 80's and early to mid 90's feel very differnt than more recently made ones. like he is talking about the streamer stage I, I played one and it had a great neck. but I played a Streamer stage II and it had a much thicker neck. not width but thickness from fretbaord to back of neck. I like a wide neck personally. I don't flub the stings as much because I have big hands. I have played some warwicks I like and some I didn't you have to judge then individually I think. as with many basses that are more mass produced these days.