Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Nobby Meidel Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarThumb, Jan 24, 2006.

1. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    Anyone know how many fretless Nobbys Warwick made?

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    You've got me there! I have never even heard or seen a Nobby Meidel fretless. If it does exist, maybe it was done manually after production.

I have a Nobby. I have read that there are only 900 or so of them out there.

3. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    There was a real nice Nobby Miedel Fretless available in Vancouver last year.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I have almost sold mine on a few occasions but can't bring myself to do it. It's got the lowest action of any bass I've ever owned and the neck is straight as an arrow. Something tells me that these basses may be worth somthing in the years to come as well. I don't really play it much though...

5. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    I know some of them were made fretless from Warwick, and I found one here in my town. It's not that expensive so I might buy it no matter how worn it is.. It's a piece of art :hyper:
    When there were made only 950 total, not many could hva been fretless?

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

Wow, can you put any pictures of that on here? I have seen the Nobby bass before but I really never thought I'd speak to someone who owned one! I'd hold onto it if I were you, it's a rare piece of Warwick History!

7. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
  8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Wow, thats very interesting! Those basses are so ugly but they have a strange allure to them...

9. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    There's a fretless Nobby for sale here in Norway. Should I pick it up?
    I do think they're rather ugly, and I imagine they're not very comfortable to play (esp. sitting down).

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It doesn't look like a player, but if you can afford to buy it, I would...the value will surely rise given "what" the instrument is...

could be a nice bit of pocket money in a few years time!

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Here it is. It's the only solid colour Nobby I've seen.

Attached Files:

12. Id buy that.

Collectors item, if you hate it, sell it for even more than you bought it for.

In John Entwistle's bass collection book, he states that everytime he went through security at an airport, they always thought he was a terrorist because of the shape of the bass......hehe

13. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    Kjøpte du den Elros? Så en på musikkweb.no, hadde tenkt å kjøpe den, men ble solgt i går. Usj.

14. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Jeg kikka på den selv, men venstrevridd som jeg er, er det jo helt uten mening å kjøpe den.

15. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    My second fretless (must be 18 years ago) was a brand new Nobby Meidel with Alembic PU's and pre-amp. Unfortunately, I sold it...
    In Germany threre still exists a hard-core Nobby Meidel community (mostly weeping about having sold their basses :crying: )

The gist about this tremendously sounding dwarf is that it came out when the Steinberger was still fashionable. Warwick took their 'Sound of Wood' approach and build something like the luthiers Rubiks Cube. It's a completely convoluted construction of many different tonewoods which resulted in an amazing sound far superior than a small, headless bass would have suggested.

I wish I had my Nobby back...

P.S.: Talking about airport security issues. I financed college while working for the airport police. You wouldn't believe how much I enjoined to inspect those suspicious Steinbergers (no joke!).

16. dwmark

dwmark

Aug 18, 2005
    I just bought a fretless one. (From a Chicago vintage guitar store.) It's really extraordinary.

dw

17. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany/Duisburg
    hey, another nobby.
    could you post me some pics

klem

soon with a new galerie. with 40 different nobby meidel basses.

18. chris how can you call this ugly when you have a hohner headless? :confused: kubicki's are somewhat different basses as well, but i like them.:bag:
    by the way, the nobby meidel is the only bass on display in the home of the warwick bass company founder.

:bassist: proud owner of: a warwick thumb b.o. fretted, corvette fretless & pre-tobias leaving gibson growler.

19. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I wish they would bring that back. Add a real licensed Steinberger tuning mechanism, and fit it with two angled J's like a Thumb, and people would probably line up to buy them.

I'd be at the head of the line.

20. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    What makes you think these would be worth a great deal? Maybe I am missing something, but isn't it just a blatant Steinberger rip-off? I don't particularly like Steinbergers, but there was a design rationale using composite materials that I don't see here with the wooden boody and conventional tuners, etc. There were a whole bunch of Steinberger copies made in the '80's, primarily from Japanses companies, and what sets this apart from those?