1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick offers wider selection of woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here yet (or I didn't find it), it's been talked about in the Warwick forum for a few days now.
    Warwick have finally widened their wood options, resulting in this list:

Body

Tigerwood
    Yellowheart
    Lacewood
    Basswood
    Black Walnut Burl
    Buck Eye Burl
    Camphor Burl
    Chakte Kok
    Golden Madrone
    Spalted Maple A
    Spalted Maple B
    Spalted Maple C
    Koa AAAA
    Koa AAAAA
    Mahogany
    Afzelia
    Flamed Maple A
    Flamed Maple AA
    Flamed Maple AAA
    Birdseye Maple
    Quilted Maple AA
    Quilted Maple AAA
    Purpleheart
    Bubinga
    Bubinga Pommele
    Swirly Bubinga
    Cocobolo
    Harewood
    Cherry
    Koa AAA
    Macassar
    Madrone Burl
    Karelian Birch
    Satinwood
    Olive
    Ovangkol
    Swamp Ash
    Thuya Burl
    Birdseye Poplar
    Walnut
    Zebrano
    Ziricote

Fingerboard

Maple
    Rosewood
    Wenge
    Tigerstripe Ebony

Head

Composite Fiber
    Flamed Maple
    Birdseye Maple

Neck

Ovangkol
    Wenge
    Maple
    Flamed Maple
    Birdseye Maple

Interesting stuff, as their selection was kinda limiting. They will also offer wood pickup covers at some point.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    nothing says warwick to me like a bubinga body and a wenge board...

3. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I totally agree! +1

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    They've had this kind of selection for a few years. Have you gotten a recent Warwick catalog? They've got all sorts of shiny samples of different woods in there...

Of course, anything outside of standard woods is a custom shop bass, and if you think Fender custom shop basses are expensive...look out :eek:

Edit: When I had my Warwick deal (actually I still might...I probably should cancel that seeing as how I haven't had a Warwick for around a year) I had inquired about getting some non-standard basses made and they were still in bananas-land price wise. Even endorsers pay full price for custom options. :(

5. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Well, I haven't followed their wood selection very closely, but it wasn't that long for sure. More specifically, a post in their forum says:

New woods added are:

Basswood
    Black Walnut Burl
    Buck Eye Burl (My personal favorite)
    Camphor Burl
    Chakte Kok
    Golden Madrone
    Spalted Maple A
    Spalted Maple B
    Spalted Maple C
    Koa AAA
    Koa AAAA
    Koa AAAAA
    Mahagony
    Madrone Burl
    Thuya Burl

So, it's like almost half of the list I posted in the first post is new woods.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I see they're offering wenge as a neck wood again... interesting... I thought they were done using wenge for necks.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Never heard of that one before!

it is certainly interesting to see Warwick offering all these woods and wooden pickup covers. I guess they must be trying to get a more modern "boutique" look to match the prices they charge! It can't have escaped their attention that luthiers like Stambaugh and Bee make great basses for relatively low prices, encoraching upon Warwick price territory!

IMO this new selection of woods and other aesthetic upgrades might be an attempt to salvage some of the companies image (which I'm sure some see as being sullied after the huge drops in quality of new basses) as well as a way of justifying their huge price.

8. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    That's so true. I'm endorsed by Warwick, and my fretless Thumb is a 35" scale, but you certainly don't get anything free!:bag:

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    My dream bass is still a Thumb 5 with a wenge neck, pickup position of a standard Jbass, and wide 18/19mm spacing. Getting closer.

10. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I don't think they had ever stopped offering wenge as a custom option. At least it's not a new addition anyway.
    And yes, what I've seen from their price list for custom options is ridiculous, if you have more than a couple option you might be able to get the same specs on a completely custom made bass by a good luthier for the same price or even less.

11. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    chatke koke
    is redheart.

12. I guess it depends where you are geographically with regard to Warwick prices, and how they compare to US made basses, which are ramped up like mad over here in the UK.

My custom shop Streamer Jazzman 5 (bubinga pommele, 35" scale) cost only 16% more than an EBMM Stringray 5 or US Fender Deluxe P 5 would have done, presumably because I'm in Europe. :meh:

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021